Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Absolute Beginner: Minimal Ice 3.30 Java

Hello there,
I'm totally new to Ice and my first goal was to get the Java "Minimal Ice" example working.

Im using Win XP, Eclipse and Ice 3.30. I imported the files from the \demoj\Ice\minimal folder. Ant seems to run properly.
Buildfile: C:\Users\Artamos\Dev\Ice\Ice\build.xml
config-init-warn:
config-init:
task-init:
init:
generate:
[mkdir] Created dir: C:\Users\Artamos\Dev\Ice\Ice\generated
[slice2java] C:\Ice-3.3.0\bin\slice2java --output-dir C:\Users\Artamos\Dev\Ice\Ice\generated C:\Users\Artamos\Dev\Ice\Ice\Hello.ice
compile:
[mkdir] Created dir: C:\Users\Artamos\Dev\Ice\Ice\classes
[javac] Compiling 11 source files to C:\Users\Artamos\Dev\Ice\Ice\classes
[javac] Compiling 3 source files to C:\Users\Artamos\Dev\Ice\Ice\classes
all:
BUILD SUCCESSFUL
Total time: 5 seconds

Two folders "classes" and "generated" were created. I suppose to start both Server and Client from the "classes" folder. This, however, is not working.

I would like to start them from Eclipse. Using the shell I receive errors, connected with the CLASS PATH, I guess. However, I added the PATHs according to the readme.

In Eclipse I'm able to run the Server as (Run as -> Open Run Dialog -> ..) IceBox - Admin. But I guess this is not the right option.

Sorry for bothering you with such trivial questions, but I really want to get this example running to start learning.

Thanks in advance,
Max

Comments

• xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain
    Hi Max

If you have problems with the classpath when run from the console you can try to pass it explicit with -cp option.

You can run the minimal demo from the console executing the following commands in Ice\minimal directory.
    Run the server
    java -cp classes;c:\Ice-3.3.0-VC90\lib\Ice.jar Server

Run the client.
    java -cp classes;c:\Ice-3.3.0-VC90\lib\Ice.jar Client

Runing from eclipse should be similar, but we do not provide support for eclipse in this forum.

Regards,

José
  • Hola José,
    Thanks for that hint! It works fine now! :-)

Max