Home Help Center

Absolute Beginner: Minimal Ice 3.30 Java

artamosartamos Member Max KayOrganization: ITESMProject: Student project / CS communication
Hello there,
I'm totally new to Ice and my first goal was to get the Java "Minimal Ice" example working.

Im using Win XP, Eclipse and Ice 3.30. I imported the files from the \demoj\Ice\minimal folder. Ant seems to run properly.
Buildfile: C:\Users\Artamos\Dev\Ice\Ice\build.xml
config-init-warn:
config-init:
task-init:
init:
generate:
[mkdir] Created dir: C:\Users\Artamos\Dev\Ice\Ice\generated
[slice2java] C:\Ice-3.3.0\bin\slice2java --output-dir C:\Users\Artamos\Dev\Ice\Ice\generated C:\Users\Artamos\Dev\Ice\Ice\Hello.ice
compile:
[mkdir] Created dir: C:\Users\Artamos\Dev\Ice\Ice\classes
[javac] Compiling 11 source files to C:\Users\Artamos\Dev\Ice\Ice\classes
[javac] Compiling 3 source files to C:\Users\Artamos\Dev\Ice\Ice\classes
all:
BUILD SUCCESSFUL
Total time: 5 seconds

Two folders "classes" and "generated" were created. I suppose to start both Server and Client from the "classes" folder. This, however, is not working.

I would like to start them from Eclipse. Using the shell I receive errors, connected with the CLASS PATH, I guess. However, I added the PATHs according to the readme.

In Eclipse I'm able to run the Server as (Run as -> Open Run Dialog -> ..) IceBox - Admin. But I guess this is not the right option.

Sorry for bothering you with such trivial questions, but I really want to get this example running to start learning.

Thanks in advance,
Max

Comments

• xdmxdm La Coruña, SpainAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Jose Gutierrez de la ConchaOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Ice Developer ZeroC Staff
    Hi Max

If you have problems with the classpath when run from the console you can try to pass it explicit with -cp option.

You can run the minimal demo from the console executing the following commands in Ice\minimal directory.
    Run the server
    java -cp classes;c:\Ice-3.3.0-VC90\lib\Ice.jar Server

Run the client.
    java -cp classes;c:\Ice-3.3.0-VC90\lib\Ice.jar Client

Runing from eclipse should be similar, but we do not provide support for eclipse in this forum.

Regards,

José
  • artamosartamos Member Max KayOrganization: ITESMProject: Student project / CS communication
    Hola José,
    Thanks for that hint! It works fine now! :-)

Max