Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

problem creating adapter

Hello everybody,

I have a strange problem creating an adapter, when it gets activated, the application hangs in the activate() method. I simply don't get anything, no exception, no output nothing. The application simply seems to stop doing anything and doesn't reach the next line of the code.
Netstat shows that the tcp-port gets acquired (state: listening).
I'm using Ice 3.3.0 under windows.

Im which cases does the Ice runtime have such a behavior?
Does anyone know similar problems?

P.S.: After this error occured, I have to kill the application via taskmanager and my full network configuration gets invalidated, that means I can't reach any network target (like google) anymore.

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

Is your object adapter configured to register its endpoints with IceGrid? It could hang trying to send the endpoints to IceGrid because of a network configuration problem for example. You could enable network tracing to debug this (by setting Ice.Trace.Network=2).

The easiest way to figure out where it's hanging would be to get a thread dump of your application with the debugger. If you copy/paste the thread stacks here, we'll be happy to take a look.

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • I'm sorry that I#m answering that late, but I was working on some other problems too.

No I'm not using IceGrid anywhere. Debugging was a bit tricky because the application an the visual studio .vcproj file are generated dynamically.
    The thread dump wasn't really interesting (just the main thread and 3 other named with just numbers, I couldn't go into them with the debugger)

As I now know it doesn't hang on activation of the adapter, it hangs on creation (createAdapterWithEndpoints).

After a bit try and error I found out that the error only occurs when the (dynamically generated) executable is not placed in our standard location, so I assume that the error is some kind of side effect which isn't directly related to Ice (probably a dll Path problem or something like that).

Thank you for your (indirect) help! If the problem gets clearer for me and is related to Ice I'll remember this forum.