Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

A Question for IceGrid.

Hi. This is Leo.

I'm very impressed the IceGrid.
Most of all, I'd like to say "VERY THANK YOU" to ZeroC members.

Question.

I'd like to have over 10,000 of grid nodes.

Can I have? If I can, How can I do?

Thank you.

Sincerely yours.

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi Leo,

I don't see a problem with this. The best is to give it a try and see how it works.

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • Hi, Benoit.

Thank you for your reply.

I am very interested in Distributed Computing, and nowadays my research topic is Desktop PC management in Enterprise.
    It contains PC System resource monitoring, Software version control, Anti-Worm and etc.

My idea is all of PC in Enterprise is grid node, and I'd like to use the IceGrid for achiving my idea.

So, I have some questions.

1. How many nodes per grid registry?
    2. If I have over 10,000 PC, What is the best configuration?

Thank you.

Leo.

ps) So sorry for my poor english.
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

I can't give you a precise number for the maximum number of nodes an IceGrid registry can handle. It really depends a lot on the operating system and hardware you're using to host the IceGrid registry. In any case, on a recent Linux system with reasonable hardware (multi-core machine), I certainly expect the IceGrid registry to be able to handle several thousand nodes.

As the number of nodes increases, the number of connections to the IceGrid registry will increase as well (IceGrid nodes send regular keep alive messages to the registry). If you have 10000 thousand nodes, you might end up with 10000 network connections to the IceGrid registry sending messages each 15 seconds. If your system can't handle that many connections with this rate of messages, you'll have an issue. You'll have to tune the configuration to reduce the number of messages and try to keep the number of connections down.

For this, you can for example configure IceGrid.Node.SessionTimeout to several minutes on the IceGrid registry and set Ice.ACM.Client to few seconds (e.g.: 10 seconds) on the IceGrid node and registry. This will reduce the rate of keep alive messages and the registry and nodes will promptly close the idle network connections.

Cheers,
    Benoit.