Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

::connect failure

Hi all

I get strange connection errors on the out-of-the-box apps that come with ice:

[g:\dev\bin\ice\ice-1.2.0-msi\demo\icestorm\clock]publisher.exe
[ publisher.exe: Network: trying to establish tcp connection to 62.194.186.50:10000 ]
[ publisher.exe: Network: trying to establish tcp connection to 62.194.186.50:10000 ]
publisher.exe: .\Network.cpp:447: Ice::ConnectFailedException:
connect failed: WSAECONNREFUSED

with trace on (or witht the debugger :) I can see ice tries to connect with a mapping to my ip/my port nr, but somehow, deep down, ::connect fails.

other demo apps (for instance demo\ice\helllo) work correct!

what is wrong???

other questions:

- why are there 2 configs ("config" and "config_server")

- why does the book mentions
"IceBox.Service.IceStorm=IceStormService,1.0.0:create" but the demo does nothing (so it seems) with that

- why are there all sorts of endpoints/proxies but only one is used (IceStorm.TopicManager.Proxy=IceStorm/TopicManager:default -p 10000)

- why does the "serverj" (clockS.sln) compile the subscriber (feels odd)

I really like ice (much more than ACE or Gsoap) but I 'd appreciate it if I could use it :)

Thanks in advance!

Dirk Griffioen

Comments

• mes
    mes California
    Re: ::connect failure

Hi,

Welcome to the forum!
    Originally posted by diddek
    I get strange connection errors on the out-of-the-box apps that come with ice:

[g:\dev\bin\ice\ice-1.2.0-msi\demo\icestorm\clock]publisher.exe
    publisher.exe: .\Network.cpp:447: Ice::ConnectFailedException:
    connect failed: WSAECONNREFUSED

with trace on (or witht the debugger :) I can see ice tries to connect with a mapping to my ip/my port nr, but somehow, deep down, ::connect fails.

other demo apps (for instance demo\ice\helllo) work correct!

what is wrong???
    The Ice::ConnectFailedException generally occurs when the server is not running, or is not running on the port the client expects it to use.

The README file in the demo directory describes the steps to take to run the example. I recommend that you edit the config file and enable the Ice.Trace.Network property. Then start the server and try the client again. The trace messages that are displayed should provide clues about the problem. For example, verify that the client and server are using the same IP address, port number, etc.
    other questions:

- why are there 2 configs ("config" and "config_server")
    We did this to separate the IceBox configuration from the application's configuration. The config_service file contains those properties necessary for IceBox to load the IceStorm service.
    - why does the book mentions
    "IceBox.Service.IceStorm=IceStormService,1.0.0:create" but the demo does nothing (so it seems) with that
    The IceBox server dynamically loads its services, and that property is used to install the IceStorm service.
    - why are there all sorts of endpoints/proxies but only one is used (IceStorm.TopicManager.Proxy=IceStorm/TopicManager:default -p 10000)
    The properties whose names end in .Endpoints are used to define the endpoints of object adapters. There are three of these properties in the config file; two are for the IceStorm service, and one is for the subscriber (to receive events from IceStorm).
    - why does the "serverj" (clockS.sln) compile the subscriber (feels odd)
    That is just a convenience.
    I really like ice (much more than ACE or Gsoap) but I 'd appreciate it if I could use it :)
    Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Take care,
    - Mark
  • tHNX!

fixed my poor understanding!