Home Help Center

Ice E beginners problem

KenniKenni Member Kenni ThomsenOrganization: SDU DenmarkProject: Distributed programming with Gumstix
Hi.

I have some small beginners problems running IceE programs on a Gumstix with buildroot, I hope someone in here can help me!? I'm building my projects in Ubuntu 8.10 and I have Ice E 1.2.0. I'm quite new to Linux and a totally beginner in Ice-programming.

I finally got the Ice E demos and tests working on the Gumstix and on Ubuntu, but only when I run the server and client on the same computer. My problem is that when I try to run the ,hello demo or minimal demo, server on Ubuntu and the client on the Gumstix, I get this error:

../../src/IceE/Network.cpp:600: Ice::ConnectionRefusedException:
connection refused: Connection refused

This is my first and biggest problem but there is more ;)

How do I compile my own Ice E programs? Is there a guide or something to programming and compiling Ice E?
At the Ice E download page it says to use the Ice documentation but I can't figure out how to compile Ice E programs? I tried to get something together by combining something from the Ice documentation and the makefiles that comes with Ice E but I only got it to compile the program the linking failed, so I'm doing something wrong. The errors I get has something to do with undefined reference to Ice::Object... and I can see from the makefiles that it might have something to do with linking something before compiling but I can't figure out exactly what to do?
In the Ice documentation for writing an Ice Application with C++ the slice2cpp is used to create Printer.h and Printer.cpp and I figured that I should use slice2cppe on my Ice E program, but I can't see that the makefiles is using slice2cppe anywhere, so should I use slice2cppe or not?

First I used slice2cppe on my Hello.ice file and I got the Hello.o file, then I compiled my client program like this:
arm-linux-c++ -c -I. -I/opt/IceE-1.2.0/include Hello.cpp Client.cpp
(I get two warnings about comparison always true but I think it doesn't matter at this time)
And this is how i linked and where it fails:
arm-linux-c++ -o client Hello.o Client.o -L/home/user/folder/IceE-1.2.0/lib -lIceEC


The last question is not a problem at this time, but it might become one later.

Is it possible to run Ice E on a Gumstix running Linux Open Embedded? I have an idea to build Ice E on Ubuntu with static library and try it that way but if anyone had a better way or could say that it wouldn't work, it could save me a lot of trouble.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Kenni

Comments

  • dwaynedwayne St. John's, NewfoundlandMember Dwayne BooneOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Internet Communications Engine
    Kenni wrote: »
    Hi.

    I have some small beginners problems running IceE programs on a Gumstix with buildroot, I hope someone in here can help me!? I'm building my projects in Ubuntu 8.10 and I have Ice E 1.2.0. I'm quite new to Linux and a totally beginner in Ice-programming.

    I finally got the Ice E demos and tests working on the Gumstix and on Ubuntu, but only when I run the server and client on the same computer. My problem is that when I try to run the ,hello demo or minimal demo, server on Ubuntu and the client on the Gumstix, I get this error:

    ../../src/IceE/Network.cpp:600: Ice::ConnectionRefusedException:
    connection refused: Connection refused

    This is my first and biggest problem but there is more ;)

    If you want to run the demos using different machines then you need to specify the proper hosts in the demo configuration files. For example, for the hello demo you need to edit the Hello.Endpoints property in config.server and the Hello.Proxy in config.client to add a -h paramater. Something like

    Hello.Proxy=hello:tcp -p 10000 -h 192.168.1.1

    of course using whatever ip or hostname is appropriate for your setup.
    Kenni wrote: »
    How do I compile my own Ice E programs? Is there a guide or something to programming and compiling Ice E?
    At the Ice E download page it says to use the Ice documentation but I can't figure out how to compile Ice E programs? I tried to get something together by combining something from the Ice documentation and the makefiles that comes with Ice E but I only got it to compile the program the linking failed, so I'm doing something wrong. The errors I get has something to do with undefined reference to Ice::Object... and I can see from the makefiles that it might have something to do with linking something before compiling but I can't figure out exactly what to do?
    In the Ice documentation for writing an Ice Application with C++ the slice2cpp is used to create Printer.h and Printer.cpp and I figured that I should use slice2cppe on my Ice E program, but I can't see that the makefiles is using slice2cppe anywhere, so should I use slice2cppe or not?

    First I used slice2cppe on my Hello.ice file and I got the Hello.o file, then I compiled my client program like this:
    arm-linux-c++ -c -I. -I/opt/IceE-1.2.0/include Hello.cpp Client.cpp
    (I get two warnings about comparison always true but I think it doesn't matter at this time)
    And this is how i linked and where it fails:
    arm-linux-c++ -o client Hello.o Client.o -L/home/user/folder/IceE-1.2.0/lib -lIceEC

    The best guide for compiling is to look at the demo Makefiles that come with Ice-E, or at least to look at the output of the Makefiles to see what they are doing. They definitely do use slice2cppe.

    Either way, the problem in your case is that you are using the client library but did not build your source files using -DICEE_PURE_CLIENT in compiler options when compiling the cpp files. You can either rebuild with that option or link with -lIceE, the full library, instead.
    Kenni wrote: »
    The last question is not a problem at this time, but it might become one later.

    Is it possible to run Ice E on a Gumstix running Linux Open Embedded? I have an idea to build Ice E on Ubuntu with static library and try it that way but if anyone had a better way or could say that it wouldn't work, it could save me a lot of trouble.

    We have not tried Ice-E on Linux Open Embedded.
  • b33fc0d3b33fc0d3 Member Ahmed AmmarOrganization: Edge-Technology.comProject: PoC
    dwayne wrote: »
    We have not tried Ice-E on Linux Open Embedded.

    I see no reason that OE should be a problem. I use IceE with a gentoo cross-development environment, works fine.
Sign In or Register to comment.