Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Slice files opening with NotePad instead of custom editor with ICEEclipse plugin

I installed the ICEEclipse plugin with MyEclipse 7.0 and ICE 3.2.1. Everything seems to work except that *.ice files are opening with Notepad rather than the custom editor shown in ICEEclipse - A plugin for the IDE Eclipse. Is there something I need to do to enable the editor?

I had ICE installed with an earlier version of Eclipse and had *.ice files opening with Notepad as an external editor, but I removed the association. I looked through the internal editors available in MyEclipse->Preferences->Editors->File Associations. There was no definition for *.ice files, and the only thing in the list that looked like it might apply was "Ice_auto_file (default)". I tried setting that, but it didn't appear to change anything.

Comments

• matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    Sounds strange, pretty much like the association is still present for the ice files. BTW, we at ZeroC released our own eclipse plugin some time ago that you might want to look at. I think it is more complete, other than syntax highlighting, that your referenced plugin. It also has the added advantage that we're actually still working on it.
  • "ICEEclipse" plugin should have been "Slice2Java" plugin

Thanks for the reply. I am using your plugin (slice2java). I installed it following the instructions at http://www.zeroc.com/eclipse.html.

I confused myself by thinking that ZeroC had adopted, modified, and released ICEEclipse as Slice2Java. I don't know where I got that idea.

The Syntax-Coloring editor isn't a big deal. Notepad will work fine.

Thanks again.
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    I suspect using notepad to edit your slice files will make the use of eclipse pretty irritating. The plugin automatically detects changes to your slice files, and rebuilds managing the set of java source files produced. If you use notepad, this stuff will be bypassed, and you'll need to manually refresh whenever you change the slice file. This would negate some of the utility of the plugin.
  • Avoiding Notepad with slice files

Oh. I thought when you said "I think it is more complete, other than syntax highlighting" that the Slice2Java plugin didn't have an editor. I removed the ice association in Eclipse and did a -clean restart and now it is opening without NotePad, apparently using a generic text editor.

Thanks for your help.