Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

help to understand icestorm

Hi,

I am trying to understand how icestorm works. I have one publisher on host P, icestorm service running on host A, n subscribers (s1,s2,...sn) on host S1,S2,...Sn. When publisher publishes new value VAL, VAL will be transferred from P to A, then icestorm on A will transfer VAL to S1,S2..Sn one by one. Suppose n subscribers are on one host, icestorm will still transfer VAL n times to the subscribers. Is my understanding correct?

Another question is regarding property service.Flush.Timeout. The manual says "The default is 1000ms. Settings of less than 100msec are silently adjusted to 100msec.". Could you point out where the source code is to implement this?

Thanks
Shifu

Comments

• matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    Your understanding is correct. However, the comment with respect to the Flush.Timeout in the manual is no longer correct. This is no longer necessary due to how IceStorm 3.3 works. However, I would not recommend using very short intervals, since little batching will occur.
  • Thank you for your quick response.
    For question 1, that means n subscribers will not receive VAL at the same time.

For question 2, we can set the flush timeout to 1ms.

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    sfxu wrote: »
    Thank you for your quick response.
    For question 1, that means n subscribers will not receive VAL at the same time.

Perhaps you could explain further? Unless I misunderstand that would be impossible even if all the subscribers are in the same process, and called through local calls.
    For question 2, we can set the flush timeout to 1ms.

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks

You could do that, but unless you have really really high throughput I'm not sure I see the point...
  • I mean icestorm is not broadcasting the value to subscribers, instead, it sends data to subscribers one by one. right? thanks.
  • dwayne
    dwayne St. John's, Newfoundland
    sfxu wrote: »
    I mean icestorm is not broadcasting the value to subscribers, instead, it sends data to subscribers one by one. right? thanks.

IceStorm does not use broadcast.