Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Mono support

I was checking out the OS support matrix and noticed two things:

- only SUSE Linux is listed as officially supported, yet RedHat is not, yet RedHat is listed for other language bindings. Any particular reason?

- Mono 1.2.6 is listed, but not 2.0, or even the latest 2.4.

Is that web page out of date, or really is 2.0 or even 2.4 not officialy supported? 1.2.6 is rather ancient. Or does this mean that 1.2.6 and *above* are supported? If so, it should probably state that. ;-)

In particular, I really think that 2.4 on SUSE needs to be supported, now that Novell officially offers (paid) support for this platform:

SUSE Linux Enterprise Mono ASP.NET

Getting Red Hat coverage as well would be nice, but not as nice as OSX coverage.

Thanks,
Ryan

Comments

• matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    I was checking out the OS support matrix and noticed two things:

- only SUSE Linux is listed as officially supported, yet RedHat is not, yet RedHat is listed for other language bindings. Any particular reason?

RHEL does not bundle mono, whereas SLES does.
    - Mono 1.2.6 is listed, but not 2.0, or even the latest 2.4.

Is that web page out of date, or really is 2.0 or even 2.4 not officialy supported? 1.2.6 is rather ancient. Or does this mean that 1.2.6 and *above* are supported? If so, it should probably state that. ;-)

SLES 10 was the current version of SLES when we released Ice 3.3.0. We do not drop supported platforms with point releases, so therefore Ice 3.3.1 support is also based on SLES 10. 1.2.6 is bundled with SLES 10, and therefore that is also the version of mono that we officially support.

During release testing of Ice 3.3.1 I actually did test mono 2.2 under SLES 10, and unfortunately it did not work (one of the tests segfaulted, something which a mono app should never do).
    In particular, I really think that 2.4 on SUSE needs to be supported, now that Novell officially offers (paid) support for this platform:

SUSE Linux Enterprise Mono ASP.NET

Getting Red Hat coverage as well would be nice, but not as nice as OSX coverage.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Note that mono may work on these additional platforms, and other versions of mono may also work, its just that we do not certify that it does. If you need official support for a particular operating system, or another version of mono then you should contact sales@zeroc.com.
  • Thanks for the quick reply Matthew.

If at all possible, for 3.4 I highly recommend that you validate the latest SUSE with the supported SUSE Mono Extensions that I provided a link for, which is Mono v2.4. It's free to download for exactly these purposes:

SUSE Linux Enterprise Mono Extension Evaluation Download

The reason this is important as this is the *only* version of Mono on SUSE that is officially supported by Novell. 1.2.6 was provided "as is". 2.4 is the "big-time" for Mono.

Hopefully the issue that existed in 2.2 is fixed indirectly (did you submit a bug report?). If not, I would re-run the tests ASAP with 2.4, and provide the bug along with your generated code that is crashing. These types of defects get a lot of high attention and are typically fixed rapidly.

Incidentally, was this just one unit test out of a large suite that was crashing? Are these tests part of the downloadable source so I can look into a workaround if necessary?

Thanks,
    Ryan
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    For Ice 3.4 we'll probably support the latest stable version of each of our support operating systems, including whatever version of mono/python/gcc that is bundled with this. That means, we'll probably support mono 2.4.
    Incidentally, was this just one unit test out of a large suite that was crashing? Are these tests part of the downloadable source so I can look into a workaround if necessary?

We distribute the entire source for Ice, so you can try the tests yourself if you like.
  • Great, I'll give it a shot once I put together my SUSE box with the Mono Extensions.

Thanks,
    Ryan