Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

32bit client 64bit server assumtions.

SCOPE PROJECT/TEST:
Stumbled on Zeroc-Ice because I might wanne write a adminstrator-murmur-client , and expanding some skills. I do all my work on vista-ulti(x64, there redicouls cheap for students :D ). Not sure if it will be .NET or JAVA.

ASSUMTIONS
GENERAL :
A)32bit compiled client (stub) has no trouble communicating true ice protocol to 64bit compiled server (skeleton) with the client OS beeing either 32bit or 64 bit. (because of the slice language/common interface .Ice file).

INSTALLATION
B)It does not matter what version you download 32-bit or 64-bit the slice compiler only generates source code , but you have to have included the correct Ice-Runtime librarys depending on a 32 or 64 bit application build.

C)The windows install VC90(2008) comes with bought 32-bit and 64-bit ice runtimes libraries.

If it are stupid assumtions sorry , it is all new to me . Feel free to point me in any direction of documentation that I might have missed. But looking true forum post explaining why , how and where 32-64bit attention is and is not important for complete newcommers is a bit hidden in documentation.(complete novice here , but hey might be a nice tip to add a remark or one page pointing this out in documentation).

PS student , don't waist to much time replying :p

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

Your assumptions are correct. For Windows Visual Studio development, I recommend using our Visual Studio plugin which makes it very easy to setup the Visual Studio projects (it automatically picks the right lib or lib\x64 directory depending on the project configuration for example).

Cheers,
    Benoit.