Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

getting started with java ice using eclipse

Hi

I am very new to this ICE. I just installed ICE eclipse plugin in in eclipse, can any body tell me where can i find the basic document to get start with ICE communication with java.

Comments

• matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    Did you watch the "Ice in 20 minutes" screencast? You should also read the basics in the Ice manual , look at the Ice demos, read over our newsletter articles, and post any specific questions you might have to this forum.
  • Hi

The video is really very helpfull, Thanks a lot for making it very simple.

I have installed ice for visual studio 2008 , and I added eclipse plugin to my IDE

and I tried Helloworld program (follow the same instructions mentioned in video)
    But when I run the server its giving error (I know def I missied some thing)

Server: Ice.SocketException
    error = 0
    Ice.SocketException
    error = 0
    at IceInternal.Network.doBind(Network.java:262)
    at IceInternal.TcpAcceptor.<init>(TcpAcceptor.java:109)
    at IceInternal.TcpEndpointI.acceptor(TcpEndpointI.java:381)
    at IceInternal.IncomingConnectionFactory.<init>(IncomingConnectionFactory.java:449)
    at Ice.ObjectAdapterI.<init>(ObjectAdapterI.java:906)
    at IceInternal.ObjectAdapterFactory.createObjectAdapter(ObjectAdapterFactory.java:183)
    at Ice.CommunicatorI.createObjectAdapterWithEndpoints(CommunicatorI.java:77)
    at Server.run(Server.java:27)
    at Ice.Application.main(Application.java:116)
    at Ice.Application.main(Application.java:37)
    at Server.main(Server.java:21)
    Caused by: java.net.BindException: Address already in use: bind
    at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Native Method)
    at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
    at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(Unknown Source)
    at IceInternal.Network.doBind(Network.java:256)
    ... 10 more

can any body suggest me?
  • The "address already in use" indicates that you have some other process already running that uses the same port as the server. See whether you have a previous instance of your server still running. If not, try changing the port number at which the server listens.

You can find out what goes on during connection attempts by running the client with --Ice.Trace.Network=2.

Cheers,

Michi.
  • Thank you so much. Its working now. I just stop my previous service which is running on the same port.
  • Hi

I ran my hello world program succesfully, But today i am getting a different error. I am planning to add a new ICe file, but I could not..
    I am not able to open my ICE file with elipse editor, when ever i click on this file it is opening with text editot, if i force to open in eclipse the its showing

"OLE Exception"
    Resson
    This is propably becase there is no OLE editor registered againest the type of file you were trying to open

wht i need to do now?
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    Sounds like perhaps .ice files have some pre-existing file association in windows? Check your file associations. If that doesn't work, then please let us know more about your environment:
    - Version of windows.
    - Version of eclipse.
    - Version of java.
    - Version of Ice.