Home Help Center

how to set timeout for each call?

alexnycheungalexnycheung Member Alex CheungOrganization: CGIProject: Management Node Middleware
Hi there,

I know how to set the connection timeout in the proxy string (i.e. -t parameter); how about each Ice method call? Can I set different timeout value for different calls? So that some calls can have longer timeout but some shorter?

Thanks
Alex

Comments

• mesmes CaliforniaAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Mark SpruiellOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Ice Developer ZeroC Staff
    Hi Alex,

You can use a different timeout for each remote invocation, but you'll need to create a new proxy using ice_timeout:
    int newTimeout = ...;
    HelloPrx newProxy = (HelloPrx)oldProxy.ice_timeout(newTimeout);
    newProxy.sayHello();

Note that Ice creates a new connection to the server for each unique endpoint-timeout combination. Remember also that timeouts affect all pending invocations on the same connection.

Hope that helps,
    Mark
  • michimichi Member Michi HenningOrganization: Triodia TechnologiesProject: I have a passing interest in Ice :-) ✭✭✭
    You can call ice_timeout on a proxy to create a new proxy with a different timeout. Note that the Ice run time uses a separate connection for each distinct timeout value, so you should avoid having dozens or more different timeout values, unless you are willing to use that many connections.

Cheers,

Michi.