Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

About default servants...

Hi,

I dont understand some sentences in the manual about them:

"...or you can register the same single default servant multiple times (each time for a different category)..."

If I do this..,

which will be the category dispatched by this default servant, the last registered or all of them??

Moreover, i find other sentences that opposite this shows above:

"...Note that, once registered, you cannot change or remove the default servant for a category..."

"...However, to implement several interfaces, you will need a default servant implementation for each one. Furthermore, you must take steps to ensure that the object adapter dispatches an incoming request to the appropriate default servant. The category field of the object identity is intended to serve this purpose..."

I have encountered these sentecen in this point Default servants

Can you shed light on this issue???

Thank you very much

Comments

• Yos wrote: »
    "...or you can register the same single default servant multiple times (each time for a different category)..."

If I do this..,

which will be the category dispatched by this default servant, the last registered or all of them??

All of the registered categories are handled by that single servant. The servant can find out what category was used by looking at the Current object that is passed to locate.
    "...Note that, once registered, you cannot change or remove the default servant for a category..."

"...However, to implement several interfaces, you will need a default servant implementation for each one. Furthermore, you must take steps to ensure that the object adapter dispatches an incoming request to the appropriate default servant. The category field of the object identity is intended to serve this purpose..."

You could conceivably have several categories for the same Slice interface. In that case, you could register the same default servant for each of these categories. However, in general, you would have as many default servants as you have categories, and use a separate category for each interface. That is the natural and intuitive way to use default servants.

Cheers,

Michi.