Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

TinyXML anyone?

Hello,

I'm considering writing an alternative implementation of your IceXML part. At a first glance, it seems this shouldn't be too hard as the code that uses the expat parser is minimal.

I intend to replace Expat by TinyXML because TinyXML is already in use in our project and it would be stupid to have two different XML parsers as a dependency.

Before I begin investigating more, has anybody else already tried/achieved this? Is anybody interested in such a patch/alternative?

Regards

Comments

• matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    Given the very small size of expat, and the complete isolation between expat and your project, I wouldn't have thought this terribly important :)
  • That's a good point, I will have to think more about that.

Having said this, replacing ExpatXML with TinyXML would just reduce the size of our dependencies needed to compile the game. If replacing ExpatXML with TinyXML is trivial (what it seems to be at first glance, but I'm still very new to Ice so there may be hidden pitfalls), it is worth it. But if it is a more complex task, you're definitely right that it isn't worth the work.

Thanks for bringing me on the point that it isn't that important, I honestly haven't realized that!
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    A further thought on this... Note that the Ice core does not depend on XML at all. The only components that use IceXML are FreezeScript and IceGrid.
  • Yep, I noticed this, although I also thought Freeze itself depended too. That's really nice to know, because we probably don't need any of them :D

But having looked more at this, it seems quite feasible. If some day I have a rush of enthusiasm again, I probably will give it a try. In case I succeed, I'll post you my patches.