Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Missing Symbolic Links in RedHat RPMs

Hi,

I have noticed that when I install Ice 3.6 using your Redhat yum repository, all of the libraries have the relevant symbolic links, e.g. libIce.so.3.6.3 -> libIce.so.36 -> libIce.so

except for the "++11" libraries. These have links from libIce++11.so.3.6.3 -> libIce++11.so.36 but the final step is missing.

I don't use any other Linux distros so cannot comment on whether it is a Redhat only problem or whether it extends to the others.

Is there any chance these can be added?

Thanks,

Jason

Comments

• xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain
    edited August 2017

Hi Jason,

.so files should be in lib/c++11 or lib64/c++11 see Using Linux Binary Distributions page for the details.

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    edited August 2017

In Ice 3.6, the symbolic links for the ++11 libraries are in the c++11 sub-directory and have the same names as the default symbolic links. The idea was that you could easily switch from the default libraries to these ++11 libraries by adding -L/usr/lib64/c++11, for example:

# default with Ice 3.6
    -lIce -lIceUtil

to

# use ++11 libraries with Ice 3.6
    -L/usr/lib64/c++11 -lIce -lIceUtil

We changed this layout in Ice 3.7: there is no longer a c++11 sub-dir and the symbolic links have now ++11 in their names:

# C++98 mapping with Ice 3.7
    -lIce

# C++11 mapping with Ice 3.7
    -lIce++11

In Ice 3.7, libIce and libIce++11 are quite different since we have now two separate Slice to C++ mappings.

While in Ice 3.6, libIce and libIce++11 are very similar, with just a few additional functions in libIce++11.

Best regards,
    Bernard