Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

How do YOU distribute your Ice Application on Linux?

Hello,

I would like to collect all different fashions that people distribute their application that use Ice on Linux. I want this because I saw that there is currently no easy way to compile Ice as a static library neither are there any Ice packages in my distribution (OpenSuSE 11.??).

So I am wondering how I should distribute our game that uses Ice for linux? I came up with four ideas:

1) be being able to build Ice as a static library, but as I read between the lines in this forum, that's not appreciated by distributions.

2) Asking a gamer to download Ice source code and compile+install it in order to install our game. Nonsense.

3) Asking every possible distribution to have packages for Ice ("if you want it, do it yourself", they'll say) and then expect every player to have the latest distribution's version - the one we had to make an Ice package for. Nonsensical squared.

4) Distribute the shared libraries of Ice along with the game (for example in its data directory), then have a script in bin that changes LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the game's data directors before executing the game ..... sounds like a big hack!

How are you doing it? How do you propose to make it?

PS: This is when I prefer windows over linux (hate it) ... just place the dll in the exe's folder and you're done, a charm (at least in theory).

Comments

• xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain
    Hi Lucas,

One option to easy distribute your game in Linux is Klik , i have not tried it my self but seems that it will made the distribution of software for Linux much easier.

Bests,
    José
  • Hello,

thanks for your answer, although that's a possibility, it requires the user to first install some other program etc. that's not perfect yet :)
    I'm just interested in getting lots of different ideas/opinions.

Also, I would be interested why you didn't make a possibility to build Ice statically?