Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

slice2html coredumps on Mac Snow Leopard

Hi,

just as an info, for the MacPorts Snow Leopard Portfile i have added the patch
--- src/system.H	2008-02-27 14:26:31.000000000 +0100
+++ src/system.H.patched	2009-09-10 17:17:35.000000000 +0200
@@ -284,7 +284,7 @@
 #define PRESTD_RESCAN_LIMIT 0x100
 #endif
 #ifndef NBUFF
-#define NBUFF               0x10000     /* Must be NWORK <= NBUFF   */
+#define NBUFF               0x20000     /* Must be NWORK <= NBUFF   */
 #endif
 #ifndef NWORK
 #define NWORK               NBUFF       /* 0x1000, 0x4000, 0x10000, ..  */

to mcpp. This was done, because slice2html ended with an segfault during the ice-cpp buildprocess (even with your patch for mcpp installed).

:q! Uwe

Comments

• I just built the doc using OS X 10.6 without problems.

It's strange that you see this crash but I don't. Which version of mcpp are you using. (I'm using mcpp 2.7 here.)

Are you generating only the doc in the Ice source tree or are there other Slice files involved as well?

From the change you made to mcpp, it certainly looks like slice2html blows some internal limit. But I'd like to know why it fails for you and works for me before adding yet another patch to mcpp.

Cheers,

Michi.
  • I just checked the source for my mcpp build, and I have

#define NBUFF 0x10000

The comment in system.H says:
     * NBUFF        Input buffer size after line concatenation by <backslash>
     *              <newline>.

I don't think we have any place in our Slice files where we do line concatenation, so I don't see how this setting would affect building of our doc with slice2html.

Cheers,

Michi.
  • We're also seeing slice2html segfaults on OS X 10.5 as well as Windows: [ome-users] Omero Build Error on WinXP

I was assuming it was related to our includes: http://www.zeroc.com/forums/bug-reports/4186-circular-includes-cause-abnormal-termination-since-slice-generators.html
  • Hi Michi,
    michi wrote: »
    It's strange that you see this crash but I don't. Which version of mcpp are you using. (I'm using mcpp 2.7 here.)

Are you generating only the doc in the Ice source tree or are there other Slice files involved as well?

Michi.

Please see

#21275 (ice-cpp segfault during build) – MacPorts

there you have a logfile from the ice build, and a callstack from slice2html. That was my first time debugging mcpp and it looks like that this things are a little bit different when mcpp is used as a lib.

The crash only happens with that very long commandline. If you call it with some slice Files less, everything works fine. So i decided to go the easy way and increse the buffer size (which doesn't fix the "real" bug, but works at the moment).

mcpp is Version 2.7.2 installed with macports.

The complete install is done with MacPorts by me, so you can install MacPorts and run "sudo port install ice-cpp". You should see the core, because the fix isn't commited yet.

Uwe