Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Parameter Passing

Hi.

Is there a way to pass parameter which have a binary format? The intent is to send pictures or (if possible) even multimedia format like audio and video stream. Do you see any chance to do so?
What would it take?

Regards,
Patrick

Comments

• matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    You can use a sequence of char (or short, depending on the underlying data). If you look at the series of articles I started in issue 16 of our newsletter connections "IceGrid Sessions and Resource Allocation", you can see I used a sequence of short for the PCM WAV file data.

You might also be interested in http://www.zeroc.com/newsletter/issue20.pdf, where I talk about optimizing the performance of file transfer.
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    Correction: I meant to say byte above, not char. Slice does not have a char type :) bytes are guaranteed not to undergo any change in representation as they are transmitted between clients and servers. This make "byte" suitable to exchange pure binary data.
  • Thany you Matthew.

This is a good hint. I will try to adopt the Mp3Encoder example to pass a Bitmap as a parameter to a servant on an other machine.