Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Centralized Freeze?

Hi,

Can Freeze be centralized?
If I have 2 nodes on two different machines running the same service, can they point to the same db? Or better yet, can the db be replicated using IceGrid somehow?

What I'm thinking is for failover, for example, I'd like to be able to failover to another node and have all the state in the db up to date.

Thanks
Budyanto

Comments

• dwayne
    dwayne St. John's, Newfoundland
    The IceGrid Freeze database cannot be centralized but IceGrid does support registry replication. You should take a look at the Registry Replication section of the Ice manual and the IceGrid replication demo that you can find in the Ice source or demos distribution.
  • So how is IceGrid replication done? It uses Freeze too right? Is it something that's not exposed as part of the ICE public feature?

I'm wondering if there's a plan to support centralized Freeze database or replication in the future. I would think this is something that would be very useful.

Thanks
    Budyanto
  • dwayne
    dwayne St. John's, Newfoundland
    There are a couple of newsletter articles on the topic of IceGrid registry replication and replication in general that might interest you. There is the "IceGrid Replication" article in issue 21 and the "Master-Slave Replication with Ice" article in issue 24.
  • Hi,

So it's may be reasonable to use Berkley Db directly to provide centralised db access across multiple processes without ice freeze ?
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Maxim,

Welcome to our forums!

Yes, if you develop directly with Berkeley DB, you could use the same DB environment from several processes on the same computer. This would be unrelated to Ice & Freeze.

Best regards,
    Bernard