Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Compatibility between different versions of ICE

Dear SIR,

Callback example code between different versions of ICE sample code.

C:\Ice-3.3.1-VC60\demo\Ice\callback ----VC6.0
C:\Ice-3.3.1\demo\Ice\callback ----VC2005
C:\Ice-3.3.1-VC90\demo\Ice\callback ----VC2008

If I want to run concurrently all three versions of the examples on the same computer, I have to change the path to lib reference to the order like this...

C:\Ice-3.3.1\bin
C:\Ice-3.3.1-VC60\bin
C:\Ice-3.3.1-VC90\bin

My question is, these three examples can not be execute at the same time.
In my situation is, server to use VC6.0, there are two client develop with the VC2005 and VC2008, respectively.Both server and client run at the same time.Is there anything I missed ? Thank you!

Best wishes,
Min-hao Lee
Industrial Technology Research Institute

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

You should definitely be able to run the VC6 server and clients from the VS2005 and/or VS2008 distributions, Ice is on the wire compatible across different compilers, platforms and language mappings.

The easiest to do this is to open 3 separate command shell windows and set the PATH appropriately in each command shell. For example, to run the server from the VC6 distribution:
    C:\> set PATH=C:\Ice-3.3.1-VC60\bin;%PATH%
    C:\> cd Ice-3.3.1\demo\Ice\callback
    C:\Ice-3.3.1\demo\Ice\callback\> server

If you still have troubles running this demo, please provide more information about the error.

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • is there are other ways to do ?

Dear Benoit ,

As you mentioned "the easiest to do this is to open 3 separate command shell windows and set the PATH appropriately in each command shell."

I have tried this,it worked!! Thanks you.

But , my server is written in the future as a windows service, client will package into a ActiveX dll in the re-addition to the development of other applications.Our company, Industrial Technology Research Institute,
    has developed automatic Robot Toolkit that we have our own Messagebus (MTC server) just like ICE Storm.In the future, the distributed applications will be embeded both Windows CE6.0 and Linux.Currently we are using DCOM and are trying to replace it with ICE and also ICE-E.

Is there are other ways to do in this condition?
    Open separate command shell may not be a good way.
    Thank you.

Best wishes,
    Min-hao Lee
    Industrial Technology Research Institute
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

Replacing DCOM with Ice sounds like a good idea :).

One easy solution for this issue is to copy the Ice DLLs your application needs in the folder where the application is located. See also the following Microsoft link for information on DLL search order: Dynamic-Link Library Search Order (Windows). Would this work for your application?

Cheers,
    Benoit.