Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

where and for what are the "ice object" and "Proxy" in the ICE Structure

I am a beginner for learning ICE. I have noticed, there are not many articles in the internet except articels from zeroc. After reading of this document from zeroc--"Distributed Programming with Ice", i feel really confused, because i can just see the "trees" , but i cannt see the "forest". It means, it just tells, u can use it like this.... But it seldom says, what they are , where they are and even why there should be this part in the system.

QUESTIONS:
So far i know this System, it consist of Server, ICE Runtime and Client?
If it's like this. where should be "ICE Object" and "Proxy". what are their duties?

thanks

Comments

• matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    This information is contained in the Ice manual. You might want to also look at my article "proxies" in http://www.zeroc.com/newsletter/issue23.pdf.
  • Thanks for the reply and happy new year :)

but i think, u havent understood my question. What i want is not to know how to make it work. What i wanna know is how it works. e.g. when the server wants to send something to the client. where is this message capsulated. which part in this system will send this message. what will make it sure, that the messge will be sent to the right client. which part of this system will receive this message for the client. Which part of the system will deal the message..........

My question is about the process not only the definition in text.
    capsulate->send->the right destination?->receive->encapsulate

QUESTION:
    1.what's the role of proxy and ice object.
    a.Is the "proxy" in the part "capsulate" and "encapsulate"?
    b.If its like this, what is for "send" and "receive"? how to make the right
    client or server receive the message?
    c.To which part does "ICE Object" belong?

The questions are really basic. I have seen the other questions here. I am sorry for that.
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    gogosap wrote: »
    QUESTION:
    1.what's the role of proxy and ice object.
    a.Is the "proxy" in the part "capsulate" and "encapsulate"?
    b.If its like this, what is for "send" and "receive"? how to make the right
    client or server receive the message?
    c.To which part does "ICE Object" belong?

The questions are really basic. I have seen the other questions here. I am sorry for that.

The proxy is used by the client to send a message to an Ice object. From this it follows the proxy packages up the request, and an implementation of the Ice object extracts the data and processes the request.

As to question 1b, I'm not entirely sure what you mean. The proxy uses whatever server it is defined to use. For example, the stringified proxy "hello:tcp -p 10000 -h 1.2.3.4" will use the Ice object identified by "hello" running at address 1.2.3.4 on port 10000.