Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

a scalability question about glacier2router

Hi all..

I am currently using glaicer2router for my field test. I am curious how well it performs on windows 2003. From an ariticle written by Mattew, I noticed that glacier2router from Ice 3.3 adopt async operations on connection handle and got a great improvement in terms of dealing with large amount of connections, However I only saw the test result based on Linux. Does it perform well in windows?

Thanks.

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

Ice 3.3 doesn't perform as well on Windows because it still uses select() to monitor Ice connections. The good news is that the up-coming Ice 3.4 release (to be released this month) will use IO completion ports. It will be a lot more scalable (we were able to run a server with more than 100K connections on a Windows 7 machine).

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • Hi benoit

Thansk for your answering. It is a good news that 3.4 will use IOCP. Is it possible to use glacier2router (part of Ice 3.4) with Ice 3.3.1? As you know, some services based on Ice 3.3.1 have been running for a while. It is not convenient to replace all components by Ice 3.4.

Thanks.
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Yes, this won't be a problem. You'll be able to use Glacier2 from Ice 3.4 older Ice clients and servers. For more information on backward compatibility, check out the RELEASE_NOTES included with your Ice distribution.

Cheers,
    Benoit.