gdb segmentation fault on dereference pointers through Ice handles

ngarimungarimu Member Michael NgarimuOrganization: PersonalProject: Trading Systems
I'm getting SEGV from gdb itself (not the actual application) when trying to print an Ice generated object through the pointer held by an IceInternal::Handle (the default pointer type generated in C++ by slice2cpp).

The specific steps are (given an IceInternal::Handle) as follows:

(gdb) p arg
$1 = (const EventPtr &) @&lt;address>: {<IceUtil::HandleBase<Event>> = {_ptr = <address>, <No data fields>}
(gdb) p *arg._ptr

Debugger segmentation fault (core dumped)

Has anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• ngarimungarimu Member Michael NgarimuOrganization: PersonalProject: Trading Systems
    All ok?

Does the silence indicate that no one else has problems examining Ice objects through the pointers contained by Ice handles?
  • benoitbenoit Rennes, FranceAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Benoit FoucherOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Ice ZeroC Staff
    Hi,

Yes, it works fine for me using gdb on Mac OS X 10.5.7. If you don't have the latest, you should try upgrading gdb and see if solves the issue.

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • ngarimungarimu Member Michael NgarimuOrganization: PersonalProject: Trading Systems
    Right now this is on

Ubuntu 8.10
    gcc 4.3.2
    gdb 6.8

There is a gdb 7.0.1 which I'll build right now and give it a try... Will report back with results. In the meantime Benoit, will you please confirm your version of gdb?
    Just built and ran gdb 7.0.1 and works without error.

...and he disappeared in a puff of logic.