Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Third party libraries for VS2005 W/ATL patch

Hello,

We've just found ourselves in DLL hell because of the Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 SP1 ATL security patch

Description of the security update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1: July 28, 2009

After installing this patch, building applications will generate references to version 8.0.50727.4053 of the C++ runtime instead of the 8.0.50727.762 which is built into the third party libraries that you distribute.

I'm slogging through rebuilding the libraries, but it's tedious (finding a version of patch that doesn't crash patching DB is tough enough.

Is there any chance you can wrap up a package for the third party libraries for Ice 3.3.1 with the latest Visual Studio 2005 patch?

We unfurtunately have to rebuild Ice to disable wchar_t as a built in type because we also use Qt.

Regards,
Greg

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hello Greg,

We can certainly help you ... please contact support@zeroc.com.

I found a long thread on this topic:
    Visual C++ Team Blog : Active Template Library (ATL) Security Updates

I imagine you looked into it and the simplest solution is to rebuild everything...

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • Thanks for the reply Bernard.

I managed to chase away all references to the 762 version of the CRT by rebuilding all of our dependencies.

This shouldn't be strictly necessary, as the updated runtime will redirect references to the 4053 version correctly. The root problems is that we're having troubles getting our IS2009 installer to reliably install the updated merge modules.

As we have a release soon, we're planning on just using the "xcopy" deployment of the manifest and CRT files, which necessitates a uniform reference.

I'll confer with the team before we submit a suppor request.

Regards,
    Greg.