IceStorm Subscriber callback

mwtuppermwtupper Member Michael TupperOrganization: BraxtonProject: ACE
I am tring to allow the IceStrorn subscriber to make calls back to the publisher. Here is the code from the subscrber side. Can a call be made back to the publisher this way or is there a better way.

Thanks
Mike

Ice::Identity subId;
subId.name = id;
if (subId.name.empty())
{
subId.name = IceUtil::generateUUID();
}
m_pDatanodeManagerAdapter = new DatanodeManagerAdapter(m_pParent);

Ice::ObjectPrx AdapterPrx = g_pObjectAdapter->add(m_pDatanodeManagerAdapter, subId);

AdapterPrx = AdapterPrx->ice_twoway();

try
{
TopicPrx->subscribeAndGetPublisher(qos, AdapterPrx);
}
catch(const IceStorm::AlreadySubscribed&)
{
if (id.empty())
{
throw;
}
}

if (g_pObjectAdapter->isDeactivated())
{
g_pObjectAdapter->activate();
}

m_CallbackProxy = IBtDatanodeManagerPrx::checkedCast(AdapterPrx);

RequestListType RequestList;
RequestList.push_back("Telemetry");
m_CallbackProxy->requestInterval(1.0);

Comments

• bernardbernard Jupiter, FLAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Bernard NormierOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Ice ZeroC Staff
    Hi Michael,

I am not quite following the code you posted, but I'll try to answer your question .

A "publisher" is an application that sends messages to subscribers through IceStorm. In Ice terms, such a publisher is an Ice client, so you can't call on a pure Ice client (you can only call objects, and objects reside in servers).

The solution here is to include a callback object in your publisher application (which them becomes an Ice server) and pass a proxy to this object in your messages.

For example:
    module Demo
    {
    //
    // Implemented in Publisher application
    //
    interface Callback
    {
         void fromSubscriber(string data);
    };

//
    // The "topic" interface implemented by the Subscribers
    //
    interface MyTopic
    {
         void message(Callback* cb);
    };

};

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • mwtuppermwtupper Member Michael TupperOrganization: BraxtonProject: ACE
    Thnak you.

I went to the IceStorm counter example after posting. and implement it that way. That looks like what you are talking about correct?
  • bernardbernard Jupiter, FLAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Bernard NormierOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Ice ZeroC Staff
    Hi Michael,

The "counter" is actually quite different: the subscribers implement the CounterObserver interface and the Counter is the publisher. The messages sent by the publisher (init and inc) don't include a callback proxy to an object in the publisher.

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • mwtuppermwtupper Member Michael TupperOrganization: BraxtonProject: ACE
    So what I am trying to develop is a data system that does the following.
    The Publisher/Subscriber seems to be working out well.
    The server clients are also working but is there another example of IceStorm that I could look at the implement the callback?

Data source 1 -> subcriber1 (IceStorm Publisher/Subscriber, like IceStorm clock example)
    Like IceStorm clock
    Process1 Subscriber
    Process2 Publisher
    Data source 1 -> Data source 2

Publish2 -> subcriber2 (IceStorm Publisher/Subscriber, like IceStorm clock example)
    Process2 Subscriber
    Process3 Publisher
    Data source 2 -> Data source 3

Publish3-> subcriber3 (IceStorm Publisher/Subscriber, like IceStorm clock example)
    Process3 Subscriber
    Data source 3 -> Data source 4

Server -> multiple clients (like IceStorm counter example)
    Data source 4 server
    Clients can
    Request data sets
    Request update intervals
    Set Data source 4 value
    Receive periodic updates pushed by the server.
    Hi Michael,

There is no IceStorm demo that demonstrates callbacks to the "publisher". Maybe you could have a look at the Ice/callback demo to get a better idea of how callbacks work.
    Server -> multiple clients (like IceStorm counter example)

Note that in Ice terms, the caller is a client, and the target is the server (more precisely, the target is an object, itself incarnated by a servant hosted by an object adapter, and this object adapter is in a server).

With an IceStorm-based publish/subscribe setup, the publishers are Ice clients (they send requests to objects hosted by the IceStorm service) and the subscribers are Ice servers (called by IceStorm).

Best regards,
    Bernard