Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Ice and Unity3D

Hi,

Has anyone tried running ice inside of a Unity Web Player? It seems like unity web player has a trimmed down version of dlls compared to its standalone player. I was able to create an Ice Communicator in a standalone player but when running it in the web player. It was complaining about a missing method.
MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.IO.File.AppendText'.
  at Ice.CommunicatorI..ctor (Ice.InitializationData initData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at Ice.Util.initialize (Ice.InitializationData initData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at TestScript.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I've traced it down to the fact that the mscorlib.dll used in the webplayer is trimmed down and does not have the method in question.

I'm not sure if this is an Ice question but I'm wondering if anyone has managed to get it to work.

I'm using Ice 3.4.0 and Unity 3.0.0b4

Thanks
Budyanto

Comments

• mes
    mes California
    Hi Budyanto,

We don't have much experience with Unity. Some time ago we attempted to get Ice for .NET running with an earlier version of Unity (which used a very old version of Mono) and it didn't go too well. Now that Unity appears to be using Mono 2.6.3, we expect Ice for .NET to integrate fairly easily. However, since the Unity Web player apparently removes some APIs from the Mono run time, you'll probably need to modify the Ice for .NET sources to get it working (or have us do it for you :) ).

Regards,
    Mark