Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Visual Studio 2010 plugin for x64 projects

I recently migrated my development environment to Windows 7 x64 (from XP x32) and vs2010 (from the previous version). This was a squeeky clean rebuild, new machine, new drive, everything installed from scratch.

I have no problems getting the Ice plugin to function. The issue I have is for my C++ ice server project (compiles to .dll for use with icebox). When I change the "Platform" in project properties to x64, the linker section "Additional Library Directories" points to my Ice installation directory eg: C:\Ice\bin rather than C:\Ice\bin\x64.

Is the plugin supposed to do this for me or not?

I manually changed the linker path to ..\bin\x64 and to get it to run (only tried debug build so far) with iceboxd, I had to set the environment PATH=C:\Ice\bin\vc100\x64;$PATH$ or iceboxd would give me some sort of "side-by-side" error.

Also of interest, same development environment but a C# windows (.net) application project using Ice, again Ice plugin seems to do it's job, but if I look at the references section and click on Ice, the Path property is C:\Ice\bin\Ice.dll. I have set to application platform to x64. Is this the correct reference to Ice for x64 applications?

Comments

• new Windows 7 x64 install -- iceboxd does not run

I have ($ICE_HOME)/bin/x64;($ICE_HOME)/bin; in the path.

iceboxd

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for morre detail."

Any idea whats wrong here? If I run ($ICE_HOME)/bin/vc100/iceboxd.exe it runs fine.
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Brian,

The iceboxd.exe in the bin and bin\x64 directories are VS2008 binaries. We ship VS2008 release runtime DLLs with the Ice dev kit, but not the debug DLLs (which are not redistributable).

bin\vc100\iceboxd.exe works because you have VS2010 installed on your computer.

All the best,
    Bernard