Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Problem installing ICE on OpenSUSE 11.2

Hello,

I have a problem when trying to install Ice on my Linux openSUSE 11.2 system in order to be able to use orca. I use RPM and when installing Ice everything seems to work fine. A problem rises when I try to test it using Ice Demos. Following the README instructions I try to use the command:

icegridnode --Ice.Config=config.grid, and it is followed by the famous icegridnode: Command not found.

I found the directory where the command was at, went there and typed icegridnode etc again, but it still couldn't find it.

I decided to skip the testing and go to the orca installation right away, but I get multiple errors like:

...bin/<name>: cannot find <name>
.../bin/slice2cpp: No such file or directory

They are all related to Ice and when solving one (using binary files for example), the other rises. I decided that Ice was probably not installed properly (but feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong here) and that I should go and try that again.

Next step was to try and install Ice from source. I tried RPM first, but came across the error: -lmcpp not found during the installation process. When trying it again with zypper, mcpp could be found and installed without any problems. The thing is, now the Ice installation (from source) gets stuck with the following error:

/usr/.../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libmcpp.a when searching for -lmcpp
/usr/.../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: cannot find -lmcpp

Does anyone know what goes wrong here or how I should do things differently? I would greatly appreciate some help, I feel like I've tried everything.

Thanks very much in advance!

Comments

• mes
    mes California
    Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

openSUSE is not one of our supported platforms, so we can't guarantee that the RPMs you're using will actually work. I think your best bet is to build Ice from source.

I strongly recommend downloading our third-party source code archive (available on the download page). It contains sources, patches, and build instructions for the third-party software required by Ice. In particular, you'll need to build and install Berkeley DB and MCPP prior to building Ice itself.

Note that the MCPP RPM that you installed doesn't work with the Ice build because Ice requires an alternate build configuration for MCPP. I recommend removing this RPM.

Regards,
    Mark
  • Thanks

Thanks, it worked! I thought the third party stuff was only for other OSs, but I got it right now. For the record: OpenSuSE is a supported platform, according to the website and the READMEs...
  • mes
    mes California
    Glad you got it working.

Note that SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 is officially supported, openSuSE is not.

Regards,
    Mark