Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Ice 3.4.1 Install Problem "Path too long"

Hi,

I wanted to install Ice 3.4.1 on my Windows XP SP3 computer. However, during installation an error occur : "The specified path is too long : C:\Program Files". It occurs regardless of the installation path length or name... And regardless of the drive letter (C, D, E...) !
I already did this installation on another computer without any problem.
There is one particularity on my system, Windows is installed on drive E.
Also without the command "subst c: e:\" the install wizard refuses to start.

I searched on these forums and the Internet but without success.
Note : this problem seems to occur only with 3.4.x versions.

Have you any idea to solve this problem ?

Comments

• dwayne
    dwayne St. John's, Newfoundland
    Sounds like the installer does not work properly when Windows is not installed on the C: drive. We will see if we can figure out the issue. In the meantime I suggest that you manually copy the Ice installation over from one of your other machines where you were able to install Ice. Thanks for the report.
  • Thanks for your answer. I will patiently wait for the installer's update. In the meantime I will use a copy of a valid installation.
    Good luck! And thanks again.
  • Ice 3.4.1 Install problem "'Program Files' contains an invalid character"

Hello there,

Being my Windows XP installed in H: (not C:), I get a similar error that says "The folder path 'Program Files' contains an invalid character".

This is, however, my first installation. Is there any workaround other than manually copying from a previous installation?

Many thanks in advance.
  • Fix for Ice 3.4.1 Install problem when

Hello everyone,

I managed a temporary fix to this:

Use Orca to edit the Ice-3.4.1.msi.

(You can download this utility from orca.zip - Windows Live. I've checked this with my virus software and it seems alright).

Whithin Orca, use "Edit>Find..." and look for all instances of "C:\". Manually edit this entries to wherever your Program Files folder (i.e. "D:\", "H:\") resides and re-save file.

Hope this helps.
  • dwayne
    dwayne St. John's, Newfoundland
    I am glad you found a work around. It of course should be unnecessary to to that and we will make sure that in the next Ice release the installer properly supports Windows not installed on C:.
  • It works perfectly! Thanks for the tip, Imtanco. :)