Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Strange behavior with // comments in slice files

Hello,
When I introduce the character " into a C++-style comment the slice2py, slice2java and slice2cs throws:
/tmp/struct.ice:4: struct `myStruct' must have at least one member

However, slice2cpp works ok. libSlice code is shared by all slice2* backends. So, I do not understand this behaviour. I'm using the Ice 3.4 version.

A slice example file:
module Test {
  struct myStruct {
   string s0; // Comment "my coment"
 };
};

Comments

• mes
    mes California
    Hi,

I have no problems compiling your Slice file with slice2java and slice2py from Ice 3.4.1 on CentOS.

Are you using our patched version of mcpp? If not, I recommend downloading our third-party source code archive.

Regards,
    Mark
  • Hi!
    mes wrote: »
    Are you using our patched version of mcpp? If not, I recommend downloading our third-party source code archive.

mamp is using Ice 3.4.1 from Debian and mcpp it is not patched in this distro. I have read the README file of ThirdParty-Sources-3.4.1.tar.gz and you say "We expect that these changes will be included in a future release of mcpp".

Have you contacted with mcpp author for including ZeroC patch? If not, I may ask him to include your patch in Debian (he is also the Debian package maintainer).

Cheers,
    Cleto.
  • dwayne
    dwayne St. John's, Newfoundland
    The mcpp author is aware of the patch for this issue but there has not been any activity on the mcpp discussion board for quite some time, so a new release does not seem forthcoming.
  • Hi!

I have just confirmed that the reason of this issue is the patch. I was talking to mcpp author and he is currently so busy (since 2 years ago) for updating mcpp library. He expects get more time at spring.

I want to post a bug at Debian Bug Track System and include your patch but I don't know its license. Under which license is the patch published? I need this information to decide if I can publish it.

Cheers,
    Cleto.
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Cleto,

We license this patch under the same license as MCPP, namely:
    /*-
     * Copyright (c) 2010 ZeroC, Inc.
     * All rights reserved.
     * This software including the files in this directory is provided under
     * the following license.
     * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
     * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
     * are met:
     * 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
     *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
     * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
     *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
     *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
     * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR ``AS IS'' AND
     * ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
     * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
     * ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE
     * FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
     * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
     * OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
     * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
     * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
     * OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
     * SUCH DAMAGE.
     */ 

(the only difference is the copyright).

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • Thanks a lot Bernard!

I'm starting the Non-Maintainer Upload process in the case of mcpp author delays the upload of the patch too much.

Cheers,
    Cleto.