Building Ice from source on Ubuntu 10.10

pchapinpchapin Vermont, USAPeter C. ChapinOrganization: Vermont Technical CollegeProject: EducationMember
Hello. I'm trying to build Ice 3.4.1 from source on my Ubuntu 10.10 system (x86, 32 bit). I'm interested in just the C++ support right now. I'm using g++ version 4.4.5.

I installed mcpp from Ubuntu's package manager. It is apparently version 2.7.2-1. I'm not sure if this is "2.7.2 with patches" but it seemed like it should be close enough to get started. :)

The build process fails fairly early while trying to link libSlice.so.3.4 with the message

"/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmcpp"

I do see in my /usr/lib directory the symbolic link libmcpp.so.0 that points at the file libmcpp.so.0.3.0 (which does exist). Am I correct in interpreting this to mean that the Ice build expects a static version of the mcpp library and that the Ubuntu package only provides a dynamic version? I can't find any libmcpp.a on my system.

Thanks for any advice/insight you might have.

Comments

• xdmxdm La Coruña, SpainJose Gutierrez de la ConchaOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Ice DeveloperAdministrators, ZeroC Staff ZeroC Staff
    You need to install libmcpp-dev package to have mcpp library and include files
  • pchapinpchapin Vermont, USAPeter C. ChapinOrganization: Vermont Technical CollegeProject: EducationMember
    Thanks. That was the problem. I should have guessed something like that. It seems like I never get used to the idea that I need the *-dev packages too. I guess I just assume everyone is a developer. :)