Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Building Ice from source on Ubuntu 10.10

Hello. I'm trying to build Ice 3.4.1 from source on my Ubuntu 10.10 system (x86, 32 bit). I'm interested in just the C++ support right now. I'm using g++ version 4.4.5.

I installed mcpp from Ubuntu's package manager. It is apparently version 2.7.2-1. I'm not sure if this is "2.7.2 with patches" but it seemed like it should be close enough to get started. :)

The build process fails fairly early while trying to link libSlice.so.3.4 with the message

"/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmcpp"

I do see in my /usr/lib directory the symbolic link libmcpp.so.0 that points at the file libmcpp.so.0.3.0 (which does exist). Am I correct in interpreting this to mean that the Ice build expects a static version of the mcpp library and that the Ubuntu package only provides a dynamic version? I can't find any libmcpp.a on my system.

Thanks for any advice/insight you might have.

Comments

• xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain
    You need to install libmcpp-dev package to have mcpp library and include files
  • pchapin
    pchapin Vermont, USA
    Thanks. That was the problem. I should have guessed something like that. It seems like I never get used to the idea that I need the *-dev packages too. I guess I just assume everyone is a developer. :)