Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

How real time is Ice?

Hi!

As far as I understand even the simplest server in Ice is multithreaded. I guess that applies to the simplest (say the "hello world") client as well. Since CPU, thread and process scheduling are OS features, I guess that there is no way to make any real time assumptions about the behaviour of Ice applications, and no way to accurately measure and monitor the time consumption of the different threads running in them.

How close to real time programming can one come with Ice, and which mechanisms/modules should be used (if any :) )?

(I have looked at the latency and throughput demos and have seen how you use time constructions there. Is that all there is to "real time"?)

Regards,
Catalin

Comments

• marc
    marc Florida
    That very much depends on your definition of realtime, especially if you run on a non-realtime operating system like Linux or Windows, or use a non-realtime protocol, like TCP/IP.

What realtime features do you exactly need?

The latency and throughput demos are just simple performance measurement demos, and do not have anything to do with realtime in particular (except to demonstrate speed, which is an important aspect of realtime). The time measurement in these demos is simply what the underlying operating system offers.