Home Help Center

sigsegv issue with std::string vars generated with slice

Jaime SilvaJaime Silva Member Jaime SilvaOrganization: Ingenieria de Software BancarioProject: Monitor our middleware platform
Hello, have an issue with global static variables generated by slice2cpp

when i create my .ice and compiled with slice, some .cpp file is generated with a list of global variables of type

static const ::std::string __mymodule__myclass__mymethod_name = "mymethod";

when i run in linux, my server fails with SIGSEGV in

#0 IceDelegateM::mymodule::myclass::mymethod (this=0x810f1f0, id=...,
flgRegister=0, prxInstance=..., __context=0x0) at mymodule.cpp:1199
#1 0xf794f96b in IceProxy::mymodule::myclass::mymethod (this=0x8111840,
id=..., flgRegister=0, prxInstance=..., __ctx=0x0) at mymodule.cpp:145
#2 0xf79675c8 in IceProxy::mymodule::myclass::mymethod (this=0x8111840,
id=..., flgRegister=0, prxInstance=...) at ./mymodule.h:196
#3 0xf7969a63 in Server::run (this=0xf6a28358, argc=2, argv=0xffffd784)
at Server.cpp:141
#4 0x009a55a8 in Ice::Application::doMain(int, char**, Ice::InitializationData const&) () from /usr/lib/libIce.so.34
#5 0x009a6577 in Ice::Application::main(int, char**, Ice::InitializationData const&) () from /usr/lib/libIce.so.34
#6 0xf796b3f1 in InstanceThread::run (this=0x8105960) at Server.cpp:259
#7 0x0031d7ce in ?? () from /usr/lib/libIceUtil.so.34
#8 0x002a1832 in start_thread () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#9 0x0021fe0e in clone () from /lib/libc.so.6
(gdb)

the reason is those static const variables generated by slice remains NULL in runtime

(gdb) p __mymodule__myclass__mymethod_name
$3 = {static npos = 4294967295,
_M_dataplus = {<std::allocator<char>> = {<__gnu_cxx::new_allocator<char>> = {<No data fields>}, <No data fields>}, _M_p = 0x0}}
(gdb)

I read this suppose to be a compiler/linker issue, so any hint will be apreciated to assure those static variables will initialize correctly, like some flag to compile a dynamic library with ice on it. I made lot of changes, like dlopen or link static, research compiler and linker flags. Nothing works and drive me crazy.

My program is a legacy C server and links with ICe by a dinamic library written in C++ with Ice methodology.

In Windows all works fine.
linux info:

uname -a
Linux myserver 2.6.18-194.el5 #1 SMP Tue Mar 16 21:52:39 EDT 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

ice 3.4.2

gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-48)

Thanks and regards

Comments

• xdmxdm La Coruña, SpainAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Jose Gutierrez de la ConchaOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Ice Developer ZeroC Staff
    Hi,

seems that C++ static initialization is failing for some reason, are you compiling your code with gcc? If that is the case try to use g++ instead.
  • Jaime SilvaJaime Silva Member Jaime SilvaOrganization: Ingenieria de Software BancarioProject: Monitor our middleware platform
    well, we cannot compile our server because strict style required by g++.

however i made a little main() only to call the ICE based lib and the behavior is the same with g++
  • xdmxdm La Coruña, SpainAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Jose Gutierrez de la ConchaOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Ice Developer ZeroC Staff
    Can you attach a simple test case to reproduce the problem.

Regard,
    Jose
  • Jaime SilvaJaime Silva Member Jaime SilvaOrganization: Ingenieria de Software BancarioProject: Monitor our middleware platform
    Solved!
    I install the samples from Ice and made a makefile to generate a dinamic library (Icegrid I think).
    Some flags in the linker make the difference and copy one of your sample makefiles to create my own makefile to compile my code.
    Thank you for your support!