Installing Ice 3.4 on RHEL6 Workstation

ingvaringvar Member Ingvar LagerstedtOrganization: European Bioinformatics InstituteProject: Using Ice as part of OMERO
Hi,
I am trying to install Ice3.4 on a RHEL6 Workstation (64-bit). After adding the zeroc-ice-rhel6.repo to /etc/yum.repos.d I get the following:

# yum list ice* db48* mcpp-devel
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit, rhnplugin
http://www.zeroc.com/download/Ice/3.4/rhel6Workstation/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 22 - "The requested URL returned error: 404"
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: zeroc-ice. Please verify its path and try again

Does this mean that this particular version of RHEL 6 (64-bit Workstation) is not supported and that I have to build Ice by hand, or has something gone wrong on either your or my side.

Kind Regards,
Ingvar Lagerstedt

Comments

• mesmes CaliforniaAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Mark SpruiellOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Ice Developer ZeroC Staff
    Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

I just tried to duplicate this problem in a RHEL6 x64 virtual machine but everything worked correctly. Can you try again and let us know if you're still having trouble?

Regards,
    Mark
  • ingvaringvar Member Ingvar LagerstedtOrganization: European Bioinformatics InstituteProject: Using Ice as part of OMERO
    Hi again,

I still get the same message. This is new machine, that came with RHEL 6.0 preinstalled. I have done two rounds of updates ~600 in all, bringing it up to RHEL6.2. Apart from that it is out of the box.
    The "package manager messages" report for each attempt to use yum:
    The package download failed Could not contact source 'zero-ice', so it will be disabled

Just as a test I tried to paste:
    http://www.zeroc.com/download/Ice/3.4/rhel6Workstation/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml
    directly into my browser, this gave the following message:

<Error><Code>NoSuchKey</Code><Message>The specified key does not exist.</Message><Key>Ice/3.4/rhel6Workstation/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml:</Key><RequestId>8EC67EB802B5251F</RequestId><HostId>OSEVDFPVFh1VLJcDCK9qAzn8naORZc5tDYjOQgDXkgYpPhfTPsh73wVyw5JYKB35</HostId></Error>

Hope that this might bring some clarity in what is going on.
    Kind Regards,
    Ingvar
  • mesmes CaliforniaAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Mark SpruiellOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Ice Developer ZeroC Staff
    I needed to look at the URL you posted more closely in order to discover the problem. Your machine is attempting to download from a rhel6Workstation directory, but no such directory exists in our repository. (We only provided rhel6 and rhel6Server.) I've now added a rhel6Workstation directory, so can you try one more time?

Thanks,
    Mark
  • ingvaringvar Member Ingvar LagerstedtOrganization: European Bioinformatics InstituteProject: Using Ice as part of OMERO
    Yes, that worked. It is not the first time I have got caught by the many different versions of RHEL. It is good to know that you provide the server version when that time comes.

Many Thanks,
    Ingvar