Home Help Center

_chat and Chat cannot resolve to a type: Chat Demo

Peter333Peter333 Member Peter BortoliOrganization: Univeristy of PlymouthProject: Student Assignment Results Publication
Evening, hope I'm messaging the right person!

Exactly as the title suggests, I'm having trouble running java based clients (Android too) in elipse.

Pride aside, this is hopefully a sign of my inability to follow instruction and nothing too drastic!

All this is done on a windows 2003 server virtual machine.

Having taken down your sample code for the Android Chat Demo client, opened it in a copy of eclipse which has the slive2java plugin (slice2java 3.4.1 for ice 3.4.1 and Android 0) installed, I now have but a handful of errors (12) all referring to _chat and Chat.

The errors tell me that both _chat and Chat cannot be resolved or resolved to a type.

The rest of the program seems happy, the Ice library has been attached and the classpath is pointing to Ice.jar

I have had this message with the Java Chat Demo Client as well, but I figure this is setup issue so would expect that.

cheers, hope you're having a good'un!

;-pete

Comments

• bernardbernard Jupiter, FLAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Bernard NormierOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Ice ZeroC Staff
    Hi Pete,

Welcome to our forums!

I am not sure what the problem is, however, I recommend you start by:
    - upgrading to the latest version of Ice (3.4.2)
    - upgrade your Slice2Java eclipse plugin to the latest version (3.4.2)
    - try the Android demos included in the Ice 3.4.2 binary distribution (installed by default in <documents>\ZeroC\Ice-3.4.2-demos\demoj\android)

In particular, the code for the Android chat demo is already in there.

Cheers,
    Bernard