Home Help Center

JNI | Java VM aborts on Ice::initialize

Hi,

I am trying to write a JNI wrapper for a library that uses ICE. It did not work and after
some debugging I found out that it seems to be ICE, to be specific Ice::initialize().

The Java VM crashes with a simple "unexpected exception" out of my control. I thought
about threads in general, but a simple pthreads example caused no problems. I tried
catching exceptions from Ice::initialize(), but none came. Some other ICE routines caused
no problems, either.

Did anyone have a similar problem with JNI and ICE? Is there anybody else who tried
something linke that?
Maybe it's just my machine or I missed something very, very important ...

I wrote some code which crashes for me. Thanks in advance for any help,

Christoph

File Demo.java
public class Demo {
        public static void main ( String[] _ ) {
                System.loadLibrary( "Demo" );
                jniDemo();
        }

private static native void jniDemo ();
}

File Demo.cc
#include <Ice/Ice.h>
#include "Demo.h"

JNIEXPORT void JNICALL Java_Demo_jniDemo ( JNIEnv *, jclass ) {
        int a;
        Ice::initialize( a, 0 );
}

'best of' error message
An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outside the VM.
Unexpected Signal : 11 occurred at PC=0x810DFE7
Function=[Unknown.]
Library=(N/A)

Demo.h was created with javah -jni -o Demo.h Demo
libDemo.so was build by g++ -shared -o libDemo.so -lIce

I am using Suse Linux, Kernel 2.4.20, GCC 3.2.3, Ice 1.3, Java 1.4.0

Comments

• mesmes CaliforniaAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Mark SpruiellOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Ice Developer ZeroC Staff
    Hi,

I suspect the problem resides in the C++ code:
            int a;
            Ice::initialize( a, 0 );
    }

The variable a is not initialized, therefore an arbitrary value could cause a segmentation fault. You should do something like this instead:
        int argc = 0;
        char* argv[] = { 0 };
        Ice::initialize( argc, argv );
    }

I tried this and it worked correctly.

Take care,
    - Mark
  • chappichchappich Member
    Hi,

the code I posted was the shortest to reproduce my error. I tried that already, but after I altered the code again -- you never know ;) -- I still had the same problem. I asume it's something wrong with my machine, gcc or whatever.

Just for the sake of completeness: Did you test the unpatched code? What was your testing environment?

Thanks, Christoph
  • mesmes CaliforniaAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Mark SpruiellOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Ice Developer ZeroC Staff
    Hi Christoph,

Yes, I tried the unpatched code as well. It also worked, but after adding a line to print the value of a, I learned that it was being initialized to a negative value, therefore it wasn't triggering the error condition. Changing the code to initialize it to a positive value caused the same error message you received (signal 11, i.e., segfault).

- Mark
    Hi Mark,

interesting. I now tried all three versions:
    If I initialize a as positive value, I get a simple "Aborted" from the VM, which makes sense as Ice::initialize() will try to read argv. Anyhow I get the very bad and ugly "unexpected exception" on a zero and negative values for a.

Best regards, Christoph
    Can you post the exact code you're trying to use?

BTW, I'm using RedHat Linux 9, gcc 3.2.2, Ice 1.3.0, JDK 1.4.2.

- Mark
    Actually it's the one you posted in your first reply.
    I tried it with argc as 1, -1 and 0. It get the error message I posted in extracts in my initial posting on -1 and 0. An 1 is replied by "Aborted" -- nothing else.

If I fill argv with a value to match argc, I again get the 'big' message.
            int argc = 1;
            char* argv[] = { "a" };
            Ice::initialize( argc, argv );
    }

Christoph
  • marcmarc FloridaAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Marc LaukienOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: The Internet Communications Engine ZeroC Staff
    Note that you must null-terminate argv:

char* argv[] = { "a", 0 };
    Christoph,

Are any core files created? If so, do the stack traces provide any helpful information?

I've tried to reproduce the crash you describe, but so far I haven't been able to.

- Mark
    Hi,

unfortunately there is no stack trace. The error message I posted in my initial posting is followed by a library listing, nothing else.
    As I mentioned before I am using a library which uses Ice itself. I am sure, Ice::initalize() is used correctly in there.

Anyway (I think) I found the solution for my problem. I updated to Java 1.4.2_04 as this was a significant difference between your and my environment. It works now, I am able to call remote functions through Ice!

If you want to, you should be able to reproduce the crash with Java 1.4.0.

Thanks again for your help,

Christoph