Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Support AIX

Does ICE1.3 support AIX?

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Weiwei,

Ice 1.3 is not supported on AIX; we did not even attempt to port Ice to AIX as we do not have access to an AIX server.

Have you tried to port Ice to AIX? Did you encounter any problem?

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • Ice on AIX

We got ICE working on AIX 5.2 with Visual Age 6.
    There seems to be some bugs in the Visual Age compiler ( a bit of tempates, etc.) , so we had to make some changes to make it happy. We only needed
    Ice and IceUtil parts, but other changes ( if needed) would be similar.
    Let me know if you want current "kludgy" stuff ( with ifdefs for AIX).
  • I currently have trying to port ICE to AIX 5.1 on my todo list. I would love to be able to look at your changes to give me a jump start on it.
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    A new feature in AIX 5.2 is the availailability of /dev/random and /dev/urandom. On Unix, Ice uses these random number generators to produce UUIDs. With AIX 5.1, you'll need to find another way ... maybe uuid_$gen.

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • Scott, please let me know where should I put, send changes to get Ice running on AIX 5.2
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    This forum supports attachments, so you could simply post your changes here :).

Bernard
  • Here it is
  • About AIX...

Hello,
    We need to port Ice to AIX 5.1,where do we have to make changes? only on make.rules?? which source distribution do we have to take??

Thanks!!
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Ice was supported on AIX for a while, most recently in Ice 3.1.x. See http://www.zeroc.com/download_3_1.html.

You may be able to build Ice 3.2 on AIX. The source distribution contains an (unsupported) Make.rules.AIX file.

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • Client/Server on the same example

Hello,
    I'm looking for one example where one process has features both client and servant. Is there any in the demos?

Thank you
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Pablo,

Please start a new thread when asking a new question.

One demo where a program is both a client and a server is the Ice/callback demo. The client hosts the callback objects (so it's also a server), and the server calls on these callback objects (so it's also a client).

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • Thank you Bernard.
    I'm sorry,next time I will write on a new thread..