Home Help Center

Zero copy streaming help please

flatmaxflatmax Member Matt FlaxOrganization: Sole TraderProject: Comms with embedded devices
Hi there,

I am trying to use zero copy streaming with OutputStream and InputStream but I am having trouble, so I am writing the forum to seek help please.

I am trying to use the zero copy approach from the website :
The OutputStream Interface in C++ - Ice 3.5 - ZeroC

The InputStream Interface in C++ - Ice 3.5 - ZeroC

I create an OutputStream ...

Ice::OutputStreamPtr ostreamO=createOutputStream(communicator, Ice::stringToEncodingVersion(communicator->getProperties()->getProperty("Ice.Default.EncodingVersion")));

I load up the data and send to the ostreamO :
vector<Ice::Byte> data(10); // I load chars into the data vector before sending
pair<const Ice::Byte*, const Ice::Byte*> p;
p.first=&data[0]; p.second=&data[data.size()-1];
ostreamO->write(p.first, p.second);
cout<<"pos="<<ostreamO->pos()<<endl;

it tells me : pos=10
great - it seems that the data has gone out.

I now try to read back ...

vector<Ice::Byte> data(128);
Ice::InputStreamPtr istreamI=Ice::wrapInputStream(communicator, data, Ice::stringToEncodingVersion(communicator->getProperties()->getProperty("Ice.Default.EncodingVersion")));

pair<const Ice::Byte*, const Ice::Byte*> p;
istreamI->read(p);
cout<<"readSize = "<<istreamI->readSize()<<endl;
printf("%p, %p\n",p.first,p.second);

I get :
readSizse = 0
0x141e661, 0x141e661

I use slice2cpp with the --stream option.

Any ideas what I am doing incorrectly ?

thanks
Matt

Comments

• benoitbenoit Rennes, FranceAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Benoit FoucherOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Ice ZeroC Staff
    Hi,

You need to call OutputStream::finished to retrieve the marshaled data. The marshaled data should then be passed to the createInputStream method if you want to un-marshall it.

See the demo/Ice/invoke C++ demo for an example on how to use the streaming API.

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • flatmaxflatmax Member Matt FlaxOrganization: Sole TraderProject: Comms with embedded devices
    benoit wrote: »
    Hi,

You need to call OutputStream::finished to retrieve the marshaled data. The marshaled data should then be passed to the createInputStream method if you want to un-marshall it.

See the demo/Ice/invoke C++ demo for an example on how to use the streaming API.

Cheers,
    Benoit.

OK - I think I understand now, streaming is used to serialise various forms of data into a vector. This vector is passed to the proxy for de-serialisation.
    Is that an OK rough description ?

Matt
  • benoitbenoit Rennes, FranceAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Benoit FoucherOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Ice ZeroC Staff
    More or less :). The streaming API is used to encode/decode Slice data types into/from a byte sequence. This byte sequence can be used either with the blobject API (proxy or servant ice_invoke methods) or for other purposes (database storage, etc). See the Dynamic Ice chapter in the manual for more information.
  • flatmaxflatmax Member Matt FlaxOrganization: Sole TraderProject: Comms with embedded devices
    benoit wrote: »
    More or less :). The streaming API is used to encode/decode Slice data types into/from a byte sequence. This byte sequence can be used either with the blobject API (proxy or servant ice_invoke methods) or for other purposes (database storage, etc). See the Dynamic Ice chapter in the manual for more information.

Great! thanks for the information.

Matt