Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Dynamic Creation of Replica Groups

Hi,

I intend to do some experimenting, but I was wondering if someone would know it the following is possible.

We envisage a grid System with various components A, B etc which would run on Nodes 1, 2 etc as Services with ids A1, A2,..,B1, B2...etc.

We would then set-up a replica-group for each Service, i.e. Replica Group RG-A would be associated with A1, A2 etc.

From the documentation this all seems feasible from a static viewpoint whereby the description of the grid is statically defined in an XML file.

What we would like to do is dynamically add a new Service, say C, with a new replica Group RG-C without re-starting the Nodes.

I have had a look at the Well-Known Objects documentation and suspect it may be feasible, but I'm not sure, especially as an Ice Patch would be a necessary first step to retrieve a Version of the binaries with the new Service.

As noted, I will Experiment with this but if this looks like madness an appropriate comment would be appreciated :-)

Many thanks

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Daniel,

Welcome to our forums!

What you describe is doable, however, this is unrelated to patching or well-known objects.

You can create a new service and replica group dynamically with Ice Admin (the GUI or the command line tool) and also programmatically. This dynamic creation of a new service/replica group/server (...) does not restart the IceGrid nodes or the IceGrid registry.

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • Hi Bernard,

Many thanks for your Response, that Sounds encouraging.

I am currently experimenting and am having Trouble getting a simple replica Group to work, for which I have started another thread - http://www.zeroc.com/forums/help-center/6204-unable-get-simple-replica-group-work.html#post26770.

The reason I mentioned IcePatch is that in principle a new Component would require a new Version of the binaries which included the Requisite component, but having read the documentation I think maybe is resolvable separating each component into a separate ice patch Distribution Group via the <distrib> tag.

I would Need again to Experiment :-)