Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Problem building Ice 1.4.0 on Fedora Linux Core 2

I've just downloaded the latest release of Ice (1.4.0) for C++, and I'm attempting to build it on a PC running Fedora Linux Core 2.

The build is failing with the following error:

making all in src
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/derek/Ice-1.4.0/src'
making all in IceUtil
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/derek/Ice-1.4.0/src/IceUtil'
c++ -c -I../../include -DICE_UTIL_API_EXPORTS -g -ftemplate-depth-128 -fPIC -Wall -D_REENTRANT Exception.cpp
[SNIP!]
c++ -c -I../../include -DICE_UTIL_API_EXPORTS -g -ftemplate-depth-128 -fPIC -Wall -D_REENTRANT GC.cpp
c++ -c -I../../include -DICE_UTIL_API_EXPORTS -g -ftemplate-depth-128 -fPIC -Wall -D_REENTRANT CountDownLatch.cpp
rm -f ../../lib/libIceUtil.so.1.4.0
c++ -shared -g -ftemplate-depth-128 -fPIC -Wall -D_REENTRANT -L../../lib -o ../../lib/libIceUtil.so.1.4.0 -Wl,-h,libIceUtil.so.14 Exception.o Unicode.o UUID.o RecMutex.o RWRecMutex.o Cond.o Thread.o ThreadException.o StaticMutex.o CtrlCHandler.o Time.o StringUtil.o InputUtil.o OutputUtil.o Base64.o GCShared.o GCRecMutex.o GC.o CountDownLatch.o -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open output file ../../lib/libIceUtil.so.1.4.0: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [../../lib/libIceUtil.so.1.4.0] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/derek/Ice-1.4.0/src/IceUtil'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/derek/Ice-1.4.0/src'
make: *** [all] Error 1

Now, it looks to me like there is no ../../lib directory (which would be Ice-1.4.0/lib). I think that is what it's complaining about here. Have I missed vital step somewhere? I think I've followed the INSTALL.LINUX instructions okay, but of course I might have missed something.

Note that I didn't touch anything in config/Make.rules - it didn't appear to be necessary to do so for my system.

Comments

• Okay, I did the obvious thing and created a "lib" directory manually. The build got a little further, and then fell over with a similar problem - this time related to a "bin" directory.

So, I created the "bin" directory and the build ran through to completion.
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    The Ice-1.4.0.tar.gz on the download page contains empty bin and lib directories. Did you use any special option to unpack the distribution?

You should simply use:
    $ tar xzf Ice-1.4.0.tar.gz

It would be very surprising if tar in Fedora Core 2 had a new behavior!

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • Ah ... I see what it is now. I used the Gnome File Roller application to unpack it (*). Just when I'd started to trust the silly thing too :( It's not just a matter of an "extract" option needing to be set, either - these directories don't even appear in the main file list.

I'll take this up with the File Roller people, and revert to trusty old tar in the meantime. Thanks!
  • Success!

Just so you know - in case you haven't tried it yet - after unpacking the source tree *properly* everything builds and all tests run successfully on FC2.