Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

ICE Plugin for Android Studio

Hi,

The plugin to compile the slice files to Java will be available for Android Studio? Because Google advises the use of Android Studio instead of Eclipse since months ago.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

We include a Gradle plugin with Ice 3.6b. Android Studio integrates well with gradle. We recommend setting up a gradle project to compile the Slice files with Android Studio. You can try out the Android demos from the Ice 3.6b demo distribution for examples.

See also:
    Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • Hi,

Thanks for your fast response.

It's perfect! But ... the new ICE version cannot support lower version than 4.2, and we should to support since version 4.0 or later.

Are there any way to use 3.6 with support to Android 4.0 and 4.1?

Best regards,
  • dwayne
    dwayne St. John's, Newfoundland
    Hi,

I built the android tests from the Ice 3.6b source distribution targeting both API 15 and 16 and was able to run the tests successfully in an emulator. The API level to target for the tests is set in the android/gradle.properties file. I was not able to test on an actual 4.0 or 4.1 device as I did not have one available.

I would suggest that you give it a try as well.
  • dwayne
    dwayne St. John's, Newfoundland
    I should also note that the Gradle Slice Plugin should work with older versions of Ice. You just need to set the iceHome and slice2java properties described here to point at the appropriate Ice installation.

Note: In final 3.6.0 release only setting iceHome property will be required