Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

requirements issues

Hi,

I have some issues.

How are the minimum RAM and Disk memory requirements?
How many MIPS has the CPU to have?
Do you support embedded operating systems like QNX LynxOS?

regard Michael

Comments

• marc
    marc Florida
    As for CPU speed, there are no minimum requirements. Ice will run on all CPUs, it will just run faster on faster CPUs.

The size of the Ice libraries depends on the operating system and compiler. On my Windows XP machine with VC++ 6.0, I have the following sizes:

ice14.dll: 1,437,696 bytes
    iceutil14.dll: 147,456 bytes

The amount of memory Ice allocates depends on what kind of data you transfer. For example, if you transfer large sequences, then Ice has to allocate larger internal buffers than if you just transfer short data values.

We do not support QNX or LynxOS. I believe it is possible to port Ice to these operating systems, and it would also be possible to strip down Ice to the exact subset that is required for specific embedded applications. (If you would like us to do this as consulting work, please contact us at support@zeroc.com.)
  • Thanks.

Ok, the example is clear. What are the minimum RAM requirement without any communication. What I mean is a quiescence system.

But how are the sizes on a linux box?
    How is the size of the IcePatch service on Disk and RAM?

regards Michael
  • marc
    marc Florida
    I don't know what the minimum memory requirements are without any communications, I didn't measure this yet. I expect it to be rather low.

As for Linux, I suggest that you compile Ice yourself with optimization and have a look at the sizes. (Make sure to use "size", not just "ls -l", because the libraries contain a lot of stuff that is not actually loaded into memory.)

Also, check out this thread:

http://www.zeroc.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=622