Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Pre-Build Failure

Hi, I open All.sln in Visual Studio 2003, and when I try to build the solution, everything has a prebuild failure. Here is a snippet of the compile log:

Build started: Project: Ice, Configuration: Debug .NET

Performing Pre-Build Event...
BuiltinSequences.ice
Communicator.ice
CommunicatorF.ice
Current.ice
Facet.ice
Identity.ice
LocalException.ice
Locator.ice
LocatorF.ice
Logger.ice
LoggerF.ice
ObjectAdapter.ice
ObjectAdapterF.ice
ObjectFactory.ice
ObjectFactoryF.ice
Plugin.ice
PluginF.ice
Process.ice
ProcessF.ice
Properties.ice
PropertiesF.ice
Router.ice
RouterF.ice
ServantLocator.ice
ServantLocatorF.ice
Stats.ice
StatsF.ice
'icecpp.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Project error: A tool returned an error code from the build event

Pre-Build Event failed

It repeats:

'icecpp.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Project error: A tool returned an error code from the build event

Pre-Build Event failed

For every project except for the first one. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Comments

• marc
    marc Florida
    icecpp.exe does not seem to be in your PATH. Did you install the binary distribution, or alternatively compiled the C++ distribution, which contains the Slice translators?
  • I used the binary distribution. I checked my PATH, and it has icecpp.exe in it (along with abunch of other binaries). I'll check over everything again.
  • if it helps, the C++ demo builds fine.
  • Originally posted by Wayetender
    if it helps, the C++ demo builds fine.

Which C++ demo is that? The Ice one? If that builds fine, then the rest of the software must have built fine too. After all, you can't successfully build any of the Ice demos without first having built the Ice DLLs.

Obviously, slice2cpp is in your path, otherwise you wouldn't be seeing the output that you are seeing but, for some reason, icecpp isn't found. Can you check that icecpp is actually present on your machine? (It should be in the same bin directory as slice2cpp.) Can you invoke icecpp manually?

Cheers,

Michi.
  • Yeah, it's the C++ demo that came with Ice 1.5.1. When I check the bin directory, I do see icecpp. When I try running icecpp, there is no output and it never exits.

I'll try re-downloading another installer, and completly re-installing the package, sometimes that can be a problem.. because this problem seems odd, The C++ one will compile just fine, but the C# one can't...
  • I actually am getting it to build if i copy icecpp.exe into the root of each project directory. (ex. I put icecpp.exe into democs\Ice\nested, democs\Ice\callback, democs\Ice\latency). I guess it isn't refrencing the paths correctly.
  • Originally posted by Wayetender
    I actually am getting it to build if i copy icecpp.exe into the root of each project directory. (ex. I put icecpp.exe into democs\Ice\nested, democs\Ice\callback, democs\Ice\latency). I guess it isn't refrencing the paths correctly.

Ah, OK, I see what the problem is now. The easiest way to fix this is to copy icecpp.exe into any directory that is in your PATH.

Cheers,

Michi.
  • yeah, that's what I plan on doing. Now to learn how to use Ice.. *reads manual*

Thanks for this great product!