Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

C# and SSL

I have a question about one of the demos. I noticed the C++ 'hello' demo allowed SSL, but the C# 'hello' demo didn't have that. Is it possible to do in C#, or should I use glacier for SSL with C#?

Comments

• At the moment, Icicle doesn't have SSL support, sorry. (It's on the TODO list.)

Cheers,

Michi.
  • Alright, this is my last question.
    Let me give you some background information on what I want to do. I want to have a server-to-client callback (so the client will also run like a server), but yet not have any incoming ports open from the client(because the clients will most likely be behind firewalls/NAT). I know this is somewhat impossible with the current version of Ice without Glacier (to have bi-directional support). However, the main code enviroment is C#. I noticed that there is something called glacierrouter.exe in the bin.. Basically what I'm getting down to:

Is there any way I can have this Bi-Directional connection support (*without* the client opening any incoming ports) but still keep C# as the programming language?

This is the last I need to know, everything else I've figured out, and I must say, it's very nicely set up.. The only problem I am having is the support for C#.. but hey, I could always try switching to C++. Thanks.
  • marc
    marc Florida
    Why not use Glacier? The fact that Glacier is written in C++, buy you want to write your applications in C# doesn't matter, as Ice is language transparant. You will only be able to use Glacier with TCP instead of SSL, until Ice for C# supports SSL.
  • Alright, thanks i'll try writing the router part in C++. Thanks.
  • marc
    marc Florida
    Why do you want to write "the router part in C++"? What router part are you referring to? You can use Glacier with Ice for C# without writing a single line in C++.
  • Ahh, ok. I see what you mean now. I misinterpreted that last post. Sorry if I have been bothersome, I now have all that I need, and it is a nice feeling.

Thank you for all the help.
  • Originally posted by marc
    Why do you want to write "the router part in C++"? What router part are you referring to? You can use Glacier with Ice for C# without writing a single line in C++.

However, there will be multiple clients needing bi-directional connections. Therefore I need GlacierStarter, but how am I going to obtain a router without any Glacier support for C#?
  • marc
    marc Florida
    All the support you need are the Glacier starter slice files, translated with slice2cs. The Ice for C++ and Ice for Java distributions do this automatically, and pack the compiled slice files into Glacier.so/Ice.jar. For Ice for C#, you will have to do this by hand.

Note that we didn't test Ice for C# with Glacier yet, but we will add the tests and demos for using Ice for C# with Glacier in the next version.
  • Holy smokes you guys are good. Thank you, Thank you!