Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

SSL support for Java clients?

The new features of the upcoming 1.6 are very exciting!

Is there any plan to extend the SSL support to Java clients?
Is the lack of support related to some technical difficulties, or a lack of resources on the subject?

Thanks.

Comments

• marc
    marc Florida
    No, there are no technical difficulties. It's simply not on the top of our todo list at present, because none of our customers needed it so far.
  • HI marc:
    sorry , I don't agree with you that none of our customers needed it so far. I think SSL support to Java clients is import than SSL support to C++ clients. many application model is that server using C++ and client using java. why? server using C++ because of it's speed, client using java because it's writing once , then can run anywhere.
  • marc
    marc Florida
    Well, all I can tell you is that our *commercial* customers so far didn't need it. If you want to become a commercial customer and need SSL for Java, then we will be happy to add this :)

In general, our development priorities are determined by commercial demand. After all, we have to make a living :)
  • Since ICE is select ed for combat system, do you have any plan to add realtime features to ICE?Just curious:)
  • Originally posted by marc
    Well, all I can tell you is that our *commercial* customers so far didn't need it. If you want to become a commercial customer and need SSL for Java, then we will be happy to add this :)

In general, our development priorities are determined by commercial demand. After all, we have to make a living :)
    Hi,
    we are still in a prototype phase and do not generate any revenue with products based on ICE. Anyway the SSL capabilities with Java clients and servers are very important to us. Would there be kind of a "guarantee" for SSL support if we will pay for the smallest license?

Best,
    Christof
  • marc
    marc Florida
    This is something we best discuss by email. Please feel free to contact us at sales@zeroc.com.
  • Done :-)
  • mes
    mes California
    Please be aware that, for technical reasons, it is not possible for us to implement SSL support in Java using JDK 1.4.x. It appears that JDK 1.5 provides the infrastructure we would need, but we haven't fully investigated it yet.

Take care,
    - Mark
  • Is this because of problems with the nio package?
  • mes
    mes California
    Actually, as Marc just pointed out to me, it might be possible for us to implement SSL support with JDK 1.4.x, but we would need to use a different concurrency model than our current thread pool.

JDK 1.4 does not provide SSL support for "select-based" socket operations, which is what we require for our thread pool implementation. If we implement a thread-per-connection model, then we could probably use what JDK 1.4 provides. Of course, a thread-per-connection model won't scale as well as the thread pool to lots of connections, but that may be an acceptable trade-off.

- Mark
  • then if i want to use java as a server,what can i do to add the SSL?
    can i use jni to call the .dll from iceSSL?
  • marc
    marc Florida
    Please see my other post, IceSSL for Java is available since version 2.1.0.