Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Windows Installer assumes System Drive is on C:

Is there any way to change the Windows Ice installer for .Net 2003 so that it doesn't assume your system drive is on C:. We have some laptops that we recently acquired that have a bunch of Flash Memory slots mapped to C-G.
In the meantime I will probably just copy the Ice directory from my other computer and make the appropriate changes for the EVs and in .NET. Do I have to worry about moving some Ice files into the Windows/System32 directory or is it sufficient to place the Ice/bin directory in the path?

Regards,
Ryan

Comments

• Ice doesn't make any registry entries, and it doesn't copy any files into Windows/System32, so it's sufficient to have the Ice/bin directory in your PATH.

I'll let Bernard answer your question about the installer -- he's our installer expert.

Cheers,

Michi.
  • Thanks Michi. That certainly makes it easy.

Regards,
    Ryan
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    The installer offers C:\Ice-2.0.0 as the default installation directory, but you can choose another installation directory on any drive. The installer puts all the files in this directory, except the icecs.dll that goes into the GAC (VC71 installer only).

Which Ice files are you concerned about?

Regards,
    Bernard
  • Hi Bernard,

Thanks for the response. When I try to run the Ice-2.0.0-VC71.msi installer I simply get a pop-up message that says "Invalid Drive: C:\", since my I have no permanently mounted drive C:\. I am never given the option to choose a installation directory.

Since I am not using C# at this time I don't think I have to worry about writing into .NET's GAC (yes?). Otherwise, I think I am good to go...

Regards,
    Ryan
  • Same problem installing in windows in drive other than c:\

Hi,
    I have the same problem. When I installed windows, some kind of problem made it name the system drive J:\, so I have no C:\.
    I have found no way to change the name of the drive in windows and ice installer just doesn't ask me for an alternative.
    Is it there a way to tell the installer to use another drive, may be through parameters given to the .msi file?
    bernard wrote:
    The installer offers C:\Ice-2.0.0 as the default installation directory, but you can choose another installation directory on any drive. The installer puts all the files in this directory, except the icecs.dll that goes into the GAC (VC71 installer only).

Which Ice files are you concerned about?

Regards,
    Bernard