Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Ice with Graphical Applications

I apologize if this shows up twice, but the first time I posted there was some goof up with the login.

I am considering using Ice with a new application. I have no experience with Ice, but I have used ACE+TAO. I am going to use Trolltech Qt for the framework and the GUI.

1. Does Ice have something similar to the ACE "qt_reactor", which integrates ACE+TAO into the Qt event loop?

2. Are there any concrete examples of using Ice, clients and servers, with Qt?

3. Are there any examples of using Ice with other GUI envrionments, such as MFC or X/Motif, both of which also have event loops?

4. Are there any architecture or design diagrams that show how to use Ice in a GUI application?

5. If Ice can't be integrated into the GUI event loop, is the best approach to put the Ice-based code into a separate thread?

Thanks.
Michael

Comments

• xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain
    2. Are there any concrete examples of using Ice, clients and servers, with Qt?

Hello spiff i developing a Point Sale software based on Ice and Qt you can see the code at forge.novell currently there is more documentation that a README file and source code coments.
    i don't now what is qt_reactor but
    in qt-3 if you wan that any not ui thread comunicate with the ui thread you must use QApplication::postEvent() staic nember function

I hope this help you
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi Michael,

There's no equivalent of the ACE qt_reactor in Ice. As xdm mentioned you need to use the QT postEvent method to communicate with the QT UI from the Ice threads. You might also take a look at this [thread=762]thread[/thread] for a discussion on this subject. Let us know if you need more information!

Benoit.
  • Thanks for the information Benoit and xdm. That confirms what I thought. I have used the "post an event to the GUI thread" model in many Qt apps that use TAO.

As an aside, I've been reading the Ice docs and playing around with the samples for the past few hours. I'm very pleased with how straight forward and feature-rich it is. After a bit more reading and exploration, I'm sure I'll be able to architect a very robust system using Ice.

Lastly, it's good that Michi posts Ice news to the ACE and TAO lists, else I might not have even considered an alternative to CORBA for my apps.

Michael