Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

C mapping

Hi,

Any plans on providing a C mapping as well to "complete" the range of supported languages? I am thinking about a C mapping because it will be a lot easier to use Ice in most Linux environments (notably Gnome) if there is a C mapping directly available.

I have searched the forums but I can't see this subject discussed anywhere...

Thanks,
jules

Comments

• marc
    marc Florida
    We don't have any plans for a C mapping. It is very difficult to map an object-oriented language such as Slice to C. We did this in the past with CORBA IDL, and it was a mess.
  • marc wrote:
    We don't have any plans for a C mapping. It is very difficult to map an object-oriented language such as Slice to C. We did this in the past with CORBA IDL, and it was a mess.

I suspected something like that to be the obvious reason.. Well, I was just hoping that, since Ice seems to be CORBA done right, it would actually be feasible to do a C mapping.

Thank you for the answer,
    jules
  • In this particular case, the problem (for once ;) ) isn't with CORBA, but in the nature of the beast. It is possible to create a C mapping, but the resulting APIs are so ugly and difficult to use that you are better off without one.

Cheers,

Michi.
  • Possible Solution

since you can link c and cpp files within one process/lib,
    you can use the cpp mapping and build a c-wrapper around the resulting sources.

not nice and a hell of work - but a solution if you require a c-interface
    to your middleware.

regards

tom