Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Is it possible using ICE with Java applet?

If it is,please tell me how to do that,Thanks!

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    I don't think we ever tried it but I don't see any reasons why it wouldn't be possible as long as you include the Ice runtime with the applet classes and as long as your applet as sufficient permissions to establish and/or receive network communications. Let us know how it goes!

Benoit.
  • Applet and Ice

I did try to use Ice from applet. To do so, I have put Ice.jar on the web and mentioned it in the <applet> tag.
    Everything goes smooth until the applet wants to initialize communicator with Ice.Util.initialize.

During the initialization Ice seem to try to read(?) stdout,
    and gets security exception as a result.

Is there any possible way to avoid the exception?
    Tell me if you need any additional details.. (I have seen this thread http://www.zeroc.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=385&highlight=AccessControlException,
    but for our applet changing permissions is not possible - it is going to work on usual web for usual people, out of the box)

Thank you.

details:
    Ice version: 3.1
    StackDump:

java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.util.PropertyPermission Ice.StdOut read)
    at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPropertyAccess(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.System.getProperty(Unknown Source)
    at Ice.PropertiesI.getProperty(PropertiesI.java:20)
    at IceInternal.Instance.<init>(Instance.java:269)
    at Ice.CommunicatorI.<init>(CommunicatorI.java:148)
    at Ice.Util.initialize(Util.java:96)
    at Ice.Util.initialize(Util.java:104)

----
  • Signature.

Sorry, I have forgot to attach my signature.
    Here it is:
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi and welcome to the forums!

We currently don't provide support for Java applets. If you have a commercial need for this feature, please contact us at info@zeroc.com.

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • Thanks for super-fast reply.

Hi Benoit,

I have send the request to info@

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Konstantin.
  • Applet and Ice

The Applet have not sufficient permissions at reading config file at local and logger the states.
    During the initialization , the Ice read the config file by the class java.io.FileInputStream, which is forbidden in application of Applet. and you can change the FileInputStream to the URL in Ice src, then it can work.

note: close all logger, such as Ice.Trace.Network, IceSSL.Trace.Security, which are not support by applet

Good luck!