Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Ice in Linux distributions?

I'm working on some open source projects where ice might fit in very nicely. The projects will be packaged for the major Linux distributions, including Debian GNU/Linux. That means that all the libraries used, also must exist for those distros. Is there any work going on with Ice and Debian?

Jarle

Comments

• I'm afraid that I have no idea whatsoever what it takes to get something bundled into one of the Linux distributions. Can you help out here?

Cheers,

Michi.
  • I'm mostly using the Debian distribution. You may want to have a look at the "Debian New Maintainers' Corner" at http://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint

I'm not an approved Debian developer myself, so I can't easily adopt Ice for Debian. But I might try to help out if I decide to use Ice in my own projects (I'll spend some time over the next few weeks to get familiar with Ice, and see how it performs in real applications).
  • Debian port

Is there anything going on with Ice and Debian GNU/Linux?

If not, I'm prepared to make a port and try to get Ice into the official Debian distribution. This is more or less requierd in order to use Ice in software relesed for Debian.
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    jgaa wrote:
    Is there anything going on with Ice and Debian GNU/Linux?

If not, I'm prepared to make a port and try to get Ice into the official Debian distribution. This is more or less requierd in order to use Ice in software relesed for Debian.

AFAIK, there is nothing going on in this area.

Regards, Matthew
  • Debian port

Ok. I will start on a port and work with the Debian developers to get it into Debian "testing".

I've created a newsgroup; jgaa.debian.projects.ice on newsserver news.jgaa.com to support the effort. I will of cource also keep this forum updated on the progress ;)

Jarle
  • An initial debianized package is ready

Hi,

I've made an initial debianized release of Ice. It does not comply 100% with the Debian policy yet, but I'm working on it. The files are available from http://ice.jgaa.com

I hope to get Ice into Debian "unstable" soon.

Jarle