Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

problem with cs:class attribute

I have problems in C# if I had this slice file like this:
                struct NeededSocket {
                        string socketName;
                        string functionIceId;
                };
                sequence<NeededSocket> NeededSocketSeq;
                struct BoxType {
                        string functionIceId;
                        NeededSocketSeq neededSockets;
                };
                sequence<BoxType> BoxTypeSeq;

[cs:class] 
                struct SocketInfo {
                        string name;
                        string label;
                        string hint;
                        string design;
                        BoxTypeSeq socketType;
                        StringSeq settingProperties;
                        bool moreThanOne;
                };
                sequence<SocketInfo> SocketInfoSeq;

interface test {
                   nonmutating SocketInfoSeq getSocketInfo();
                }

there is exception, that something in generated code on client side is null. It is when called getSocketInfo in time of reading response on client side. If I debug on server side it looks that server is sending data correctly. When I removed cs:class it it was OK, the program worked. (with other complicated structures the same)

sorry I dont have now more information, because I did it before week and I have data on other computer not there... ...and also I will not be there for some time

I tried it both on Mono 1.1.8.2 on linux and .NET Framework 2.0 beta 2 on Windows - both have the same error

Comments

• I just tried a simple client and server with your Slice definition, and things appear to work OK. Can you please send small, self-contained source code for client and server, so I can try and reproduce the problem?

Thanks,

Michi.
  • a little bit bigger example

this is a little bit bigger example...

more information is in README file

there is NAnt build file - use latest snapshot of NAnt:
    http://nant.sourceforge.net
  • I'm sorry, but I'm having problems compiling your example. I noticed that you are using C# generics in your code, that is, C# version 2. Note that Ice is neither tested nor supported with that version.

I'm afraid it would be a lot of work for me to pare down your example to something small and self-contained. Could you get this down to something smaller and simpler? Also, if you can supply a line number and stack trace for where you think the problem is occuring, that would be useful.

Thanks,

Michi.
  • Not adding anything useful but the OP mentioned that he:

" tried it both on Mono 1.1.8.2 on linux and .NET Framework 2.0 beta 2 on Windows - both have the same error"

Ice is anyway unsupported on .NET 2.0 beta or otherwise. You are probably running into some latent bug that got fixed in the later version.
  • Much more smaller example

I am attaching example of this bug that I tested both with .NET 2 Beta 2 and .NET 1.1, both with the same exception:

CSStructAsClassProblemClient.exe: unknown exception: System.NullReferenceExcepti
    on: Odkaz na objekt není nastaven na instanci objektu.
    at CSStructAsClassProblem._testDelM.getSockets(Context __context) in c:\Docum
    ents and Settings\michal.DESKBOOK\xdevelop\projects\IceCSStructAsClass\IceCSStru
    ctAsClassHelper\CSStructAsClassProblem.cs:line 1139
    at CSStructAsClassProblem.testPrxHelper.getSockets(Context __context) in c:\D
    ocuments and Settings\michal.DESKBOOK\xdevelop\projects\IceCSStructAsClass\IceCS
    StructAsClassHelper\CSStructAsClassProblem.cs:line 943
    at CSStructAsClassProblem.testPrxHelper.getSockets() in c:\Documents and Sett
    ings\michal.DESKBOOK\xdevelop\projects\IceCSStructAsClass\IceCSStructAsClassHelp
    er\CSStructAsClassProblem.cs:line 930
    at CSStructAsClassProblem.Client.run(String[] args) in c:\Documents and Setti
    ngs\michal.DESKBOOK\xdevelop\projects\IceCSStructAsClass\Client\Client.cs:line 2
    at Ice.Application.main(String[] args, String configFile)
  • Thanks muchly for the code, I've managed to reproduce the problem. It's caused by a bug in the generated code. I'm working on a fix and I'll post a patch as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Michi.
  • Here is a patch for the problem:
    diff -c -r1.36 CsUtil.cpp
    *** CsUtil.cpp  18 Aug 2005 23:47:59 -0000      1.36
    --- CsUtil.cpp  26 Aug 2005 02:25:22 -0000
    *** 777,782 ****
    --- 777,786 ----
                out << sb;
                if(isArray)
                {
    +               if(st->hasMetaData("cs:class"))
    +               {
    +                   out << nl << param << "[__ix] = new " << typeS << "();";
    +               }
                    out << nl << param << "[__ix].__read(" << stream << ");";
                }
                else

Please apply that and let me know whether that fixes your problem.

Cheers,

Michi.